Model Cars Magazine Forum

Predicta '13

FordRodnKustom

Nice work...interesting concept ! It could open a whole new type of model category...a "what if" class so to speak. I really like the carbs through the hood look, in my opinion it adds quite a bit ti the car. :)

Edited by Pete L.

• 2 years later...

Sounds like you're being sarcastic. What I meant is that it's very unlikely that a show car would ever have been turned into a gasser or some sort of drag car. It's not a "mistake," since this is your model and you can build it any way you want. But I still say it's an implausible subject. Nicely done... but implausible. Feel free to disagree with me. ;)

I see this model as being in the same vein as, for example, Carl Casper's Undertaker. It was a full-on show custom/dragster. Did it ever actually make a pass at a strip? I have no idea. But the real car was built (for whatever purpose) and existed.

And somewhere, today, somebody is running around on the street with a jacked-up, gasser-stance car (IIRC it's some kind of Mopar) with a full bubble top. I don't remember all the details but I've seen it in at least two different magazines.

So I don't see this model as being all THAT far out. B)

ETA: I see now that someone has posted a pic of the car I was talking about above.

Edited by Snake45

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was fortunate to get a copy of Starbird's biography (written by his grandson), as well as reading a bunch of other material on the "Predicta" over the years.

It is true that Starbird himself ran the car at the 1960 Kansas City AHRA national drag meet. The bubble top wonder hit over 100MPH with its Hemi engine.

Not just "plausible", but the real deal.....