Model Cars Magazine Forum

First shared build

coolplastic

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

This is the first build I have shared. I have the same story as alot of people built alot during my teens drifted off and have been back for about two years. I enjoy looking and finally found the courage to post a finished build. Nothing fancy. Almost box stock with the exception of wheels. I have never used detail parts. I still use rattle cans and brush paints. But this site is outstanding and felt it was time for me to step up. Thanks for looking...

Looks pretty nice to me. I built the Tasca Ford version when it was first released and it went together fairly well as I recall.

I still use spray cans and bottle paints for most of my work, so you're not alone. A paint polishing kit and Bare Metal Foil are two of the great equalizers in this hobby, so once you learn to use those, the look of your built models goes up dramatically.

One other thing I've noticed is people who pay attention to the basics such as making sure cylinder heads are on the block squarely, there are no gaps between the intake manifold and heads, all joint seams (such as when and enigine block and transmission are molded in halves lengthwise) are sanded and no longer visible, etc. Even with no airbush and building box stock, there are lots of things you can do to constantly improve your builds. I've been trying to improve for almost 30 years. ;):lol:

Never be afraid to show off your work- there's no such thing as a perfect model.

Welcome John! Nice build! I like the wheel combo - nice touch. B)

I think I have rarely read anything as on the money about the basics as what Casey just posted above! Read it and believe! Every one of the tips Casey points out are "great equalizers" in their own right. Many of the fine builders on this board trade on just these items alone and deliver wonderful models time after time. Sure after market parts, super detailing, and spectacular airbrush artistry are a trip, but in many ways a clean out-of-the-box build is as good as it gets when it comes to fine modeling - people like me who find it impossible to build stock out of the box are constantly amazed, delighted and more than a little envious of these clean OTB builds.

Keep on buildin'!

Edited by gbk1

Thanks for the tips, and the comments This is as close to a club as I can get since I do not know any builders and the closest thing to a LHS is a HOBBY LOBBY. I have learned alot here thanks again. I also need to practice my picture skills BIG TIME. I Think I hear a 56 chevy gasser calling my name..................

Guest Gramps-xrds

Hi John and welcome. I see nothing wrong w/ your car and it wouldn't really make any difference anyway. Modelers build for their own enjoyment and to share tips and ideas w/ others here. It doesn't matter if you have all the tools in the world or just a pocket knife and paint brush. What matters is that you have fun building and enjoy it.

Keep up the good work and have fun. :rolleyes::D;)