Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cayman update: Tired of polishing Leaving it as is 5/21/07

ismaelg

Hello,

Last time, we were here:

DSCF5447b.jpg

DSCF5450b.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the primer ready for color. But basically, I don't move forward until the primer is perfectly even and smooth. I sand it smooth to an almost polished finished. I used Plastikote T235 followed by a coat of Cobra Colors Moon Mud primer.

I have seen top end shops applying colored primer between the initial primer and color. What I did was to lay a very light color coat that will be the foundation for all other color coats. I also did something different this time: I "spot painted" the areas I know are succeptible to rub throughs while polishing. I am usually very aggresive in polishing, resulting in rubbing thru clear, paint and primer and having to start all over again. These areas are the door handles, A pillars, wheel well bulges (both back and front), fuel filler door and the back hatch ridge. I will now start color coats, but since this is red plastic, I'll take it very Very VERY easy to slowly build up color and prevent any bleeding.

DSCF5466b.jpg

DSCF5468b.jpg

Let me know if you like these in progress installments...

Thanks,

Is that Midas yellow going to be the final color?

Unless I change my mind between now and the last color coat, yes, it will be the final color. :lol:

Don't tell anybody, but it is actually the basecoat of Giallo Midas Pearl, a Lamborghini factory tricoat option. But, this basecoat (without the translucent midcoat) is the closest I have to Porsche Speed yellow... And..... I have already used all the other yellows :D

DSCF4731.JPG

So it will be Porsche Speed Yellow. That's my story and I'll stick to it!!! :lol:

Thanks,

Hello,

Not much progress this week in this or any other model for that matter. :)

About 7 or 8 color coats, gave it a few days to dry and inspected over the most powerful light you can get; the tropical sun at mid Morning with polarized sunglasses. A few minor teeny weeny micro flaws were found and fixed, then went all over the body with a 6000 polishing cloth and plenty of water. Then a good "shower" under tap water and let it air dry/ bake in the sun for about 10 minutes.

Then... one final coat of color with 50/50 thinned paint.

Now it is ready for clear...

No sign of bleeding so far. The body is red plastic and the spoiler, mirrors and grilles are black plastic. Color is uniform in all parts.

Thanks,

Hello,

After 2 weeks of rain, I finally got a chance to apply clear to this project.

DSCF5627b.jpg

WOW! I can't believe it but this thing has 20 coats on it!!!!! (Of course there was a lot of sanding on some of them) and each one of them was a gloves-off "in your face" open challenge to the red plastic bleeding gremlins :D

2 coats of T235 primer

2 coats of moon mud primer

8 color coats

8 coats of clear

It will have plenty of time to dry before polishing. I'll work now on the chassis, interiors and everything else, which is usually a few weeks. Then I'll polish it before final assembly.

Thanks,

The body was cleared and it is taking a nap of at least 2 or 3 weeks before polishing. After that I started working on the underside of the car. These cars have panels covering the bottom, so they are pretty much all black. But if those panels are removed, you can see some overspray from the painting process. I painted this model as if some panels were removed. I also added heat insulation over the mufflers.

Now it is on to brakes, followed by interiors

Still a long way to go, but slowly getting there...

DSCF5643b.jpg

DSCF5644b.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks,

Guest roadkill2525

I forgot how much today's cars have everything covered, the paint and detailing look spectacular.

Thanks guys!

Russ, the heat shield is a piece of heavy aluminum foil. Trimmed to shape and then pressed over mesh material so the pattern gets embossed. A drop of superglue keeps it in place. Other than that and the parts box oil filter decal, the rest is 100% box stock.

Currently working on the interiors. I'll post pics soon.

Thanks,

Half of the interior work is done. I now need to work on the dash, shifter, steering wheel, pedals etc.

I still need to dust off some flocking material from the seats. The cargo net shows some weird reflections, but it looks better than in the pic.

DSCF5649b.jpg

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...