Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Wiring Harness

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can use to simulate the cover for the wiring harness that is in scale ? (1/24 scale )

Working on the engine harness for a 2010 Super Charged Coyote engine.

Going to go to Michaels today to see if I can find something that will work but thought I would ask anyway.

Thank You

I've done a few scale harnesses over time, all were the old-fashioned taped wiring harnesses though: I simply used very fine beading wire, twisting several strands very lightly together, with the various "out-takes" separated and bent outward from the otherwise twisted wire. I then simply coat the harness itself with a thin coating of 5-minute epoxy, just enough epoxy to smooth out the bundled wire. Once the epoxy has started to harden (dry to the touch but still flexible), I bend and shape the harness to the space in which it has to fit, and just leave it there until it's completely hardened, stiff.

The last step is to paint the harness itself (generally a semi-gloss black to simulate the color and slight sheen of black PVC tape, install the harness, and hook in the various wires to where they go (drilled holes generally), and last I paint the indivdual wires between the harness and the equipment its attached to in appropriate colors.

Art

Thank you guys for the tips on the harness ideas.

I found a couple of things at Joanna's today which may work for my application and they are Jewelry Designer Leather Cord in 2mm & 1mm. Going to try these when I start to work on the engine bay of my Resto Modded 67 Shelby with the 2010 Super Charged engine that is on the Work Bench.

Edited by Metalmad

• 3 weeks later...

I have been following that build. Just an fyi. No coyote engines in 2010. No supercharged coyotes period. That engine is the 5.4 from the old modular family still. Shares no architecture with the 5.0 coyote in the 2011up mustang. The 5.4 was used in the blown shelby from 2007-2012 with minor changes. Then trinity came for 13/14. It still is 5.4 modular beginnings but with spray bore technology it's now a 5.8 modular but still shares nothing with the coyote. The boss 302 of modern times is a coyote variant called roadrunner and the new gt350 gets a revving to the moon flat plane crank 5.2 that is called voodoo. Just thought I would share. If you need I can go out to the garage and get whatever engine pics you need of the 5.4 or the 5.8 shelby engines