Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8th 1965 Corvette

jeffs396

i think you found a great deal jeff. i paid a $100 for mine. i also only used the body. here are some pics of mine. the highlits include a tig welded stainless steel tube frame, an all aluminum 705" big block chevy w/ a lenco and a ford 9". hand machined wheels round out my first 1/8 scale build. i think you'll enjoy this kit immensely no matter how you build it. stock or full blown monster.

1-863vette005.jpg

1-863vette003.jpg

1-863vette001.jpg

P2260106.jpg

bobsvette005.jpg

good luck and great modelling to ya!

I bought one complete and unbuilt at a local farmer's market for $50 and the only issue was a spot on the body where a tire had melted the styrene. I've been slowly (very slowly) accumulating some 8th scale parts before starting off on a mild street machine build. The kit seems very well engineered and begs for detailing.

As an aside, Mr. Smith seems to have taken his project a wee bit further than what I have in mind for my own.

thank you but, i just wanted you to know that you don't have to build what's in the box. i mean if, out of the box is what YOU WANT to build. that's great! just don't be convinced that you're stuck there. your imagination is the limit.... and in 1:8 scale, the amount of detail you add is up to you.

this particular car is not on this site. feel free to go to my photobucket if you like.

http://s243.photobucket.com/home/comp1839

you may find an idea or two you can use.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

TDR s an excellent big block. it's a more modern version so, the valve covers won't fit a "stocker" type build. maybe a few other little things. i got no clue on wheels for ya'. of course you could talk to tim at TDR. i'm sure he'd be interested on helping you out making a set.

i think you found a great deal jeff. i paid a $100 for mine. i also only used the body. here are some pics of mine. the highlits include a tig welded stainless steel tube frame, an all aluminum 705" big block chevy w/ a lenco and a ford 9". hand machined wheels round out my first 1/8 scale build. i think you'll enjoy this kit immensely no matter how you build it. stock or full blown monster.

1-863vette005.jpg

1-863vette003.jpg

1-863vette001.jpg

P2260106.jpg

bobsvette005.jpg

good luck and great modelling to ya!

HOLY ###### THAT'S SWEET!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Holy Bowtie, Jeff! That's incredible.

Ian; Not so much. Kitbashing seems to be the most common way to do mods, but there are a few big scale retailers on ebay that have some prts that might work.

I'm still waiting (over 40 years) for one of the mfgrs to step up and make a 1/8 scale hemi kit...maybe with several versions. I've been trying to figure out how to use the nice Parma 1/10 scale hemi, but it's right between the 1/8 and 1/12, and doesn't really fit most applications. One ebay seller has resin heads and valve covers for $50+. They would have to be chromed if that's what we wanted. That is just a little too much for the 4-5 parts I'd use. Same for 1/12 scale hemis.

I was planning to do a Prostreet C2 one day too, and I have an almost finished '69 C3 with a lot of scratchbuilt parts on the bench

(see her here http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45463&st=40 ).

One of these specials is a Hooker sidepipe system which will look good on a C2 too, so if you want one, I probably have some spares somewhere...

Same goes for a Talbot mirror, a Le Mans filler cap and several Rim/Wheel combos

(Kesley Hayes Strippers, Cyclones, Mag Stars, Halibrand, Lola T70) .

I'd really like to post that Vette in a finished state here, but I am working on another car right now...

On top of that I'm working on a Chevy 327 small block engine with several intake options: Single Holley Quad, Quad Dual Webers, Crossram Dual DCOE Webers, Rochester FI.

I really don't want to brag about my bits box just wanted to give you some more options for "spares"...

And I'm really glad for every nice 1/8 project I get to see (especially Vettes!) and I'd be glad to support fellow modelers with parts.

Have any of you dechromed the bumpers, sanded out the mold lines, and had them rechromed?

BTW: when I did my '65 some years ago I used adhesive backed heavy foil tape (like used in heat duct repair) for the window trim. It's the right hue because the trim is stainless steel and not chrome. It is also the right thickness, whereas BMF is far too thin. If you can get the plastic trim very smooth, and can do it without cutting into your paint you can do it on the car. I guess you could put it on first, then mask it while painting, too. On my last attempt to revive the model I actually removed both front and rear window trim and stripped and sanded them, but I never got around to laying on the foil.

Edited by deja-view

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't started it yet Ian :(

Doing a bit of planning, looking for a CAD file of the venerable BBC for external dimensions (too difficult to measure my installed 396 in my 1:1 Impala) to replace the small block by "bulking it up a bit", and trying to figure out a way to do some other rims/tires...

Not sure about a BBC for it, but there are lots of intertesting wheels at the RC part of hobby shops. A BBC would defnitely be cool.

What about the engine from the Pontiac Trans Ams? Technically, there is no BB in Pontiac engines (they all used the same basic block for 326-455), but they would fill the compartment better. Dunno what you'd do for valve covers, though. BBC covers are pretty plain, and I think I saw some on ebay a few years back.

Edited by deja-view