Model Cars Magazine Forum

197? GMC Long Bed

Started a new kit tonight, Revell's GMC Plow Truck. One thing sticks me as not quite right... Living in MN I've seen a lot of plow trucks but I don't know if I've ever seen a short box with a plow. Step one is going to be fixing that! Here's what the box sides look like:

Long_GMC_1.jpg

The point of no return:

Long_GMC_2.jpg

I took a few measurements off a real truck but nothing seemed to add up right, so I guessed and decided 1/4" behind the wheel opening and 3/4" before would be close enough. Then I cut some strips off a For Sale sign and stuck them on the back of the bed side to give some rough structure:

Long_GMC_3.jpg

Then I chopped up some more For Sale sign and started filling the gaps. It's going to take a heck of a lot of putty but I think it might just work.

Long_GMC_4.jpg

Better bet would have been like others and bought a second kit to cut pieces of the bed. However, looks good so far for it being a custom job. Kit year is late 70's ('77-'78 namely) for reference. I believe the reason they made it a short bed is it's based on an old Monogram kit, and they figured it would be a good kit to add a plow to. It's too bad they never made a long bed kit though, since it is a popular conversion for these kits (and the AMT '84 GMC).

How slightly? Because I'm looking at the LMC Truck parts catalog, and they don't distinguish between 2WD and 4WD for the replacement bedsides.

Besides, I've never heard of that detail before, and looking at pics of both a '77 C10 and K10, I see no difference (much less a difference that would be noticeable in scale.)

• 3 months later...

It's too bad that the kit manufacturers are so hung up on 4x4 short box trucks, big block cars and hardtops and to a much lesser extent, convertibles. A sedan with a six cylinder is always a very welcome diversion from the usual builds IMHO. Every manufacturer of 1:1 automobiles made long box, two wheel drive trucks, panels, sedan deliveries, sedans and wagons, Yet you seldom see kits of those subjects. I know that it is all about profit but it would be nice to see some really unusual stuff released. The recent '57 Ford Custom and the Kaiser from Mobius are examples of how popular something unique can prove to be - sometimes simply because it is unique and different from the usual, mundane offerings that are on the shelves of hobby shops. Having said that, the kit manufacturers do seem to be starting a bit to "think outside the box" and there is some good stuff coming. The Ford pickups that are soon to be released are an example - I just hope that they aren't all short box trucks. :unsure: But then I guess that's what will make your conversion stand out from the crowd - because in the world of styrene and resin, you are building something that will be in the small minority. Good for you! It's looking good and I am sure that this will just look better and better as the project goes on. :):):)

Nice job on the long bed conversion!

What I find interesting is that on this vehicle, many people are clamoring for a long bed and on the AMT 72 Chevy, many are converting it to a short bed! :lol:

Short bed 4x4 pickups with plows are not too common but not rare. Most people I knew back in Northern Illinois went with long bed 3/4 or 1 ton pickups if they were using them for a lot of snow plowing. The smaller trucks were more common for small driveways and tight spaces.

I believe the upcoming Ford pickups from Mobieus will be a long bed and a short bed. I hope that they consider a 2wd and a 4wd drivetrain option, i would certainly pay a few more dollars for that kit!

Considering there hasn't been a kit with a snow plow offered in 40 years, I am glad to have this one and will add that plow to many different vehicles! ;)

Edited by mikemodeler

• 8 months later...