Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:8 scale '32 Bugatti Coupe' de Ville

Alfalfa

Ohhh. The Devil lime green Testa from my friend Yoda......Next time i go in my Basement i took some pics from my Testa. Promised! But this car is not finished. I have some many transkits and new Aluminium wheels for this Ferrari. I strippt the "Paint" of and paint it new in Italien red. he is currently not assembled and wait for build. I have so many Projects in 1:8 here......So much to do and so less time :-(

If somebody wont i can take some pics from my "Basement storage" to statisfy some curiosity you may have ???

Hi friends.

The first try from me to work with real lether on my Pochers. The back seat is okay. But the first front seat satisfied me not. I think it Looks not so, ähm, elegant? Can i let it so?......I considering to paint it in a tan yellow Color with Tamiya spray paint. What you thinking abaout it?

post-15243-0-18760500-1424701125_thumb.j

post-15243-0-72621100-1424701130_thumb.j

post-15243-0-42922600-1424701135_thumb.j

post-15243-0-73630200-1424701140_thumb.j

post-15243-0-97882300-1424701145_thumb.j

post-15243-0-40889500-1424719491_thumb.j

post-15243-0-30795100-1424719496_thumb.j

post-15243-0-03491400-1424719506_thumb.j

post-15243-0-34385700-1424719511_thumb.j

post-15243-0-10798600-1424719515_thumb.j

Edited by Alfalfa

The contours in the middle of the front seat look flat to me. The edging looks very good in all of them

If you look at what Cato did with his Rolls seats, he put some material under the leather to give more shape to the seat

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86520&page=32

I would try something like that

I don't know about painting leather, especially the chrome tanned stuff that that looks like, it doesn't usually work well

You can dye veg tanned 'cowboy leather' but even then it takes full on dipping to get good color

Test a small bit and see what happens

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Superb work on the engine and the machined look on its panels. The wood dash is in my very personal opinion one of the best I have ever seen done in this type of wood grain, it even look to scale.

About painting leather, there are some specific "touch-up" paints in spray cans made to fix small scrachts and other imperfections on leather made furniture, shoes,briefcases and hadbags, they come in a selected variety of colors, these could work for you, these are sold at some dept. stores and also craft stores. Here is the website of one in the UK as an example.

http://www.fabricspray.co.uk

Hope it helps and looking forward for more updates!!

I like the seat color, and I would add that the seats are shaped pretty much like the real Bugattis-- sort of a flat, one-piece cascading slope, like a park bench.

There you go, the advice from the expert

and I am not being a smart ass...he really is the expert!

On leather working forums, we get questions about changing the colour of a bag or shoes or whatever.

It never works.

You are only putting a bit of colour on top of the leather and it will peel away/wear easily.

The colour of chrome tanned leather is created while the hide is being tanned and cured (cured with chromium salts) It is infused right in

Vegetable tanned leather (literally tanned with tree bark and other natural tannin products) has more ability to be dyed after it is processed, but still best fully immersed (dipped) into a dye to allow it to soak up all the way through.

If you want to surface coat the leather with paint and not touch it again that might work, but I would test it out first

There you go, the advice from the expert

and I am not being a smart ass...he really is the expert!

On leather working forums, we get questions about changing the colour of a bag or shoes or whatever.

It never works.

You are only putting a bit of colour on top of the leather and it will peel away/wear easily.

The colour of chrome tanned leather is created while the hide is being tanned and cured (cured with chromium salts) It is infused right in

Vegetable tanned leather (literally tanned with tree bark and other natural tannin products) has more ability to be dyed after it is processed, but still best fully immersed (dipped) into a dye to allow it to soak up all the way through.

If you want to surface coat the leather with paint and not touch it again that might work, but I would test it out first

Great advice Scott; thanks for the leather lesson.

I wonder, doesn't leather shrink when immersed in liquid? Would it pucker?

And will most .5mm leather stretch when heated?

You probably won't find two 50T Bugattis with the same interior, but they usually had very thin padding, some with a chrome or leather grab rail running across the top of the seat back. This particular kit would be accurate with many different executions -- tilting back, flat or pleated leather, etc.

Edited by sjordan2

Great advice Scott; thanks for the leather lesson.

I wonder, doesn't leather shrink when immersed in liquid? Would it pucker?

And will most .5mm leather stretch when heated?

Hi Cato, good to hear from you

Yes, leather can shrink and stretch out

I watched some videos on Hermes craftsman making gloves and saw how much they stretched out the leather before cutting any patterns out

This is chrome-tanned leather most of us work with here. It will stretch out nicely over a form. You cannot cut into it or stamp patterns into chrome leather, but you can heat foil or even paint logos and such

Auto industry uses a chrome tanned leathers for durability and it is still thinner than the veg tanned stuff

For veg tanned leather, think a horse saddle, you can wet it, cut and stamp patterns into it and dye or stain the surface as water soaks into it

While it dries it will shrink, so often you glue a panel of leather to a backing, wet it properly, stamp it, let it dry and then take it off the backing. After drying you add a bit of oil to soften it up to your desired feel as it will be hard and crusty

Here is a tiki I did in veg leather, painted with acrylic paint

DSCF0188.jpgDSCF0177.jpg

Sorry to deviate this thread with my babbling :)

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

I don't think our OP considers this a hi-jack; it's valuable info for any of us working with leather. All his big scale builds will profit from Scott's contribution.

And Scott, which oil is used for softening?

Cato,

the classic one is called "neatsfoot" oil, but olive oil, canola oil etc work as well

You are re-feeding the leather with oils that it lost during the wetting process

Similar to adding oil to a wooden cutting board to prevent it drying out and cracking

Again, this is only for the veg tanned cowboy leather...won't work on chrome tanned that Alex showed above

If anyone wants to get into leather work, Tandy Leather from the states is a good starting point for basic tools etc....or I can help

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

To answer a previous question, yes, you can paint leather. There are specific paints (usually sprays) specifically meant to paint leather. You can also paint leather with acrylic craft paint, which stays somewhat flexible when dry.

I scratchbuilt these seats for my Pocher RR... they have real foam padding and are upholstered not with real leather, but a synthetic "leather" material that looks exactly like the real thing. I used acrylic gray craft paint on it, and even when you press down the seat cushions, the paint doesn't flake or crack. I don't see why a paint like this wouldn't also work the same way on real leather.

upholstery_zps40952a55.jpg

seats3_zps28b3e2ed.jpg

seats2_zpsb629b23a.jpg

seats1_zpsaf2530dd.jpg

Synthetic leather is not leather and will take paint differently than real leather

My comment stands to try it out on a test piece first before risking the whole

It gets very complicated as to what manufacturers call "leather" and what they do to a cow hide to maximize production out of it by cutting layers of it off

A certain % of ground up leather added into synthetic products qualifies products to be called real leather...which is BS

As far as I am concerned, if it has artificial backing, is modified chopped up and reconstitiuted it is a man made product

It can be really difficult when buying leather products as to if they are real leather or not...some of them are good some not

I am blabbing about a can of worms subject, often I can't tell if leather is real or not

I scratchbuilt these seats for my Pocher RR... they have real foam padding and are upholstered not with real leather, but a synthetic "leather" material that looks exactly like the real thing. I used acrylic gray craft paint on it, and even when you press down the seat cushions, the paint doesn't flake or crack.

Outstanding seats and very fitting for a luxury classic.

Uiii. I see the question with leather is not so easy. I think the idea with Olive oil is good! I test it on a Piece from my lether. And WOOOWWW! The Rolls SEATS ARE awesome!!! Looks so Fantastic!!! I have the Sedanca Rolls here. Thanks for your 1001 Tips! Niece to hear what the Pro's said.

Hey you missed all the fun...and me blabbing on

I was thinking last night and Harry hit on something important

In doing modelling we might be better off with the artificial stuff you can get at art stores and the like

It is thinner, more pliable in most cases, cheaper and comes in a ton of different colours and textures

Real leather is more expensive and more work.

Here you can see me in the MG build thinning this chrome hide from the back....process is called skiving and it is messy and a pain as get rips and tears and uneven areas.

You cannot skive artificial leather the same way

I love real leather, but have all the funky tools to work with it. A car hobbyist would be best off with more predictable synthetic stuff

imagejpg2-3.jpg

Edited by Twokidsnosleep