Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Mustang kit is this? I must have it!

If the box to the left of the model is it's box; it would have to be an old MPC kit. The "Golden Wheels" promotional printing is one of MPC's old buy in promos....earn so many wheels; get a free kit....kinda like the old S&H green stamps....as for the kit itself; I would focus on MPC when searching...early 1980's ....hope the info helps narrow your search..........Matt

When looking for an Out Of Production kit such as this, I found the site www.modelroundup.com

they have listings on several OOP kits. and also sell them online as well. I have ordered from here and got great service and timely delivery at a reasonable cost.

Hope this may help someone in the future as well. Jack is the owner and very good guy to deal with.

Huge thanks to everyone!!!! I really appreciate it, ordering the kit now. As a kid my neighbor had three of these, two were drag cars,one was a daily. I used to get so excited when they got fired up and would race over there just to see what he was doing,lol

The kit body is very nice, but the underhood and interior detail will leave a LOT to be desired. I have quite a few of these kits (and the 1:1 cars too) and can say without fail that if you want a real nice engine upgrade for this kit, grab either the Revell 32 Ford 3W coupe (carbed) ot the Speedwagon kit (EFI). Also, the later Monogram 199-95GT Mustang kits make excellent donors (same with the Cobras and the AMT offerings if you are looking to go Mod Motor and updated wheel/tire combos.

And as built, the above pictured kit has the optional 79 Indy Pace Car/82GT lower front valance installed versus the 83-84GT (which are different from one another) lower.

Edited by whale392