Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Woodie

ucntcme

Ertl AMT mis-identified or mis-labeled that kit as a "Woodie." God only knows where they came up with that one! One of their consultants at the time even pointed it out, but they went ahead with calling it a "Woodie" because they thought it would sell more kits than calling it a sedan delivery! :lol::o

Just goes to show you what can happen when profiteering trumps reality.

ph34r.gif

Nice build of a strange kit.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Ertl AMT mis-identified or mis-labeled that kit as a "Woodie." God only knows where they came up with that one! One of their consultants at the time even pointed it out, but they went ahead with calling it a "Woodie" because they thought it would sell more kits than calling it a sedan delivery! B):lol:

Just goes to show you what can happen when profiteering trumps reality.

ph34r.gif

Nice build of a strange kit.

:D

Thanks, I'm glad you brought that up cause I know people thought I didn't know what kind of car I built!

What's up with the hood? Won't it close all the way down? Just wondering as I have this kit unbuilt and just wanted to know if there is an inherent problem with the kit parts?

Nope it would not, The hinges were off a bit and did not fit right. I might have been able to fix it but I had already had some paint on it. You should be able to make it work but it will take a little work. Then again yours may fit just fine.

• 2 years later...

"A sedan delivery, commonly called a delivery is car derived van". A Panel Delivery is based on the Pickup. It's also larger and more Heavy Duty than the Sedan Delivery.

I'm building the same model but, I Scrapped the Box Stock ugly Fender/Running Boards assembly in favor of a Stock assembly. (I really don't like Fender Skirts). I'm painting mine a Two Tone Candy Apple Red. It has a Small Block Chevy and an Auto trans. I'm also using the Wheels and Tires from a Diecast 1955 Oldsmobile.

If there's two things to hate about this Kit, one is the mismatched Chrome Trim that runs along the Body line and Hood and the other is the Hood itself. It doesn't fit right in too many ways and I doubt I'll ever get an answer from AMT as to why or if they'll fix the problem. My hood fit so poorly that I had to look through my spares, just to find one that fits CENTERED with the body. I still had to ADD thin strips of Styrene to the Rear portion of the Hood to close the MASSIVE GAP between it and the Body.

I fully intend to present it to my Cardiologist. The funny part is, I'm making Decals for it to represent a Traveling "Snake Oil Peddler" and using the Doc's REAL name.

Go ahead, tell me it ain't funny.

Now, to all the people that'll complain about "A Ford Should Be Powered By A Ford". I say PPTHHPTHPFFTHPPPT!!! I remember my Stepfather's 1956 Ford F100 POWERED by a Max Wedge. I've seen Chevies Powered by Chrysler, a Ford Street Rod powered by a Turbocharged Chrysler Slant Six and about a Million Fords powered by Chevy. Even the Green Hornet's Movie Chrysler was powered by Chevrolet ZZ454 V8 engine and Turbo 400 transmission.

It's the Freedom to Choose what you want LURKING under your favorite Hood that makes your Car, Truck, Van and etc. uniquely yours. How many Contest Models actually have ROLLING WHEELS? When this trend start? I didn't get that memo.

All my Models have Rolling Wheels. That's just the way I build them.

So, have fun and build your Cars, Trucks or whatever, the way you want.