Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diorama ideas

FujimiLover

You know what would be a kick-azz diorama to build? The scene from The Italian Job where the three Mini Cooper's jump out of the sweage drain pipe and into the "river". Is there anyway to simulate water-splashes? I can picture the Mini Cooper's being mounted at such steep angles with water splashing up just like in the movie. The diorama would be several feet long to accomidate three 1/24 scale model cars at the appropiate distance.

How would YOU go about building one?

That WOULD make a great diorama and water has been pretty much been done, but the splashes would be the creative side of this. Water coming out of the pipe would cause no problem as a similar effect has been done many times.

I'd be curious to a link with photos or even the jump scene if anyone know one ... didn't have a lot of luck googling it

I didn't have any luck googling for photo's either. The only chase scene I could find from the movie was when the Mini's were going down the stairs into the sub-way station. That seems to be the most popular one. Of coarse, there are lot's of scenes from the classic version available.

I might have to freeze-frame the movie and take a picture of it with my camera!

I've got lot's of ideas for diorama's, just no skills yet to build theme. Still would like to do my Initial D drifting scene as well. That would be MUCH simpler than the T.I.J. scene.

I have a contest Sat. at Hobby Town. Last year there was a guy there that had a diorama of a Mustang dropping a couple bombs at a sub. One of the explosions made a water spout and that was what was holding the plane in the air as one wing tip passed through it. There was another splash where the other bomb hit. The water looked like the epoxy they use in the back of Mopar ecu ignition boxes and maybe MSD's too. It's a clearish amber color so it looked like muddy water and you could see the sub through it and the dirt floor below the sub and water. It had depth to it. I'll see if I can get some info and a pic of it if it shows up again.

Thank's, but I'm not sure if the Mini's were jumping into muddy water's.

Yeah, but he might have an idea on how to do what you want to do. My pc is down, so I am not sure when I'll be back online again.

Thank's guy's. This project wont' happen anytime soon. Obviously, the first step is to purchase/build the three Mini Cooper S model's, then get reference pictures if I can. Since I have the movie, I can freeze-frame and take pic's of the scene and analyze it carefully for detail's. I think it would make for a killer diorama and I doubt anyone has done it yet! :P

• 1 month later...