Model Cars Magazine Forum

Define "Coats of paint"

I see reference all the time to X number coats of paint, but I'm curious as to what is actually considered a "coat". When doing house painting for example, one application regardless of how many times the roller passes over the area is a "coat".

I've seen Don's video on airbrushing (nicely done and highly informative), but still I don't think he said what a coat was. In one painting session, he certainly covered the same areas multiple times, but there was no flashing in between. Is that session considered a coat, or is each pass of the airbrush over that area of the body during a single painting session a coat?

......................what makes me chuckle is the kit with "... 15 coats of superpaintdium sanded down in between each one ..." so in reality it has a primer & topcoat

Its even worse when they had 30+ coat laquer paint jobs on 1:1 cars years ago. Umm..sanding and polishing between each coat...how many coats were really left?

I am just starting my first kit as an adult, so I honestly do not know how to answer your question. I will be reading any replies you may receive though. Excellent question.

No, there doesn't have to be drying time between coats but there can be. Number of coats doesn't really matter as long as you have good even coverage and a smooth surface. The only time number of coats comes in to play is in candy colors but the actual number isn't nearly as important as getting to the color depth you want. Another thing to consider is whether you paint with an airbrush or a rattle can. Cans are like a firehose of paint and put down much heavier coats than an airbrush, what may take four or five airbrush coats may take two with a can. The most important thing is to come up with a style of painting that works best for the type of paint you like to use.