Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've been thinkin about this for a little while. Would there be any interest in a Big Rig Build off? This would be a deadline build, with poll voting for say, 14 days, no weathering, any make of heavy truck, all out custom show truck build. It would have to be a new or total restoration, no finished builds would allowed. I was inspired by the PKY Build off in Louisville. Anybody in for this? Any ideas for rules?

Edited by Petetrucker07

Here's a thought for the contest. A calender build. Now this all depends on number of entries of course.

Winner gets cover, pick of month and free calender.

Runner up gets a free calender.

Those who make it into the calender, the remaining 10, get the calender for a big discount.

More will be printed for those who wish to PM. or email for interest, no selling in public forum area.

what if you have some little things done but still have alot to do

I would say for it to be a true "build off" it would have to be a fresh kit. This is really going to be using the honor system. Someone could just use early pics of a build that they already started, but there's no fun in cheating. I'm not much for competing, but having a deadline helps get things done.

Clayton,

I like the way you think. Some of us build much slower than others, the realities of life demands time away from the work bench, as we all know. As far as finished builds, there are two schools of thought. First, bring it on. Competition is always good. This could turn into a popularity contest of previous posts, however. Second, specifically for this contest gets more new builds posted keeps models that may have competed other places out of the running. It makes everyone have to do the same work. Basic assembly, paint and bodywork, detailing and final assembly. You could stipulate under construction as of your first post and set the deadline when ever. I personally like The end of September. Even that late, I will be hard pressed to make it, even as bad as I want to be in this. Not that I need motivation to build, but this could be the fire lit in the right place to keep me dedicated. You could limit the voters to non-contestants voting only. Straight up vote getting is a great idea. No categories to worry about, most votes

wins. Make the post the ballot box itself, 1 post / vote per member, easy to track. I got to quit typing and start sanding, darnit. Even without the calendar carrot dangling, which is a very cool, by the way, just the idea of this, has me chomping at the bit.

Just my 2 cents,

Thanks,

Mark.

Edited by purepmd

Thanks man. I've been wanting something like this to come along and it wasnt. So I figured I'd go ahead and do it. I figured I'd give this interest thread till the end of the month to feel it out. Then give everyone interested July to gather parts, kits, ideas and inspiration. Then start it Aug 1st, then end last day of Sep. Maybe even end of Oct. Make it a 90 day build. I think 90 day would be more likely and fair to everyone, life does get in the way. I like your thinkin of non entrant voting. That's just a givin you'd vote for yourself. My fantasy for this would be 15 or 20 entrants. That would be very pleasing. But so far, there are 6 or 7. I would hope this would inspire some that build only trucks to do it and non truck builders. Maybe I should post and interest thread in the community build posts too. I think the calender idea may spark more interest.

If we have a 3 month window to do a build I would give it a go. but even three months can be a short time period ( seems like a lot of time, but then life gets in the way and boom, ya missed the deadline).

Cool idea either way though.

If we have a 3 month window to do a build I would give it a go. but even three months can be a short time period ( seems like a lot of time, but then life gets in the way and boom, ya missed the deadline).

3 months is a short time period, especially if you build a well detailed kit that requires cement. Something tells me this has "Snap Pete" written all over it. Slam it, stretch it, snap it.....

3 months is a short time period, especially if you build a well detailed kit that requires cement. Something tells me this has "Snap Pete" written all over it. Slam it, stretch it, snap it.....

Not really. It kinda pushes you to do cosmetic build. Almost curbside really.

I think if the build is well planned out, it can be executed in 90 days. I already know what Im doing, and it wont be anything scratch built. I have enough of those long term projects. And Clayton, if Anthony wants to build a chopped, stretched, snap kit then I say we let him.

In all seriousness, I think a good rule would be no snap kits. That is in no way any kind of build challenge.

I think if the build is well planned out, it can be executed in 90 days. I already know what Im doing, and it wont be anything scratch built. I have enough of those long term projects. And Clayton, if Anthony wants to build a chopped, stretched, snap kit then I say we let him.

In all seriousness, I think a good rule would be no snap kits. That is in no way any kind of build challenge.

Executed in 90 days? I wait that long for paint to cure! :lol: As for the chopped, stretched snap kit, Good Luck with that boys. I think it's time to break out the Atomic City Mercury Space Capsule. See you boys in the winter.

mercury_capsule-vi.jpg

Edited by Modeltruckbuilder

Well, I know it's only been a few days. But it's not lookin like this is gonna take off anyway. I'm still hopeful, anyone who is interested can enter, and that might be a good idea, no snappers. Or a certain amount of customizing. Guess I should sit down and really set up some rules.

Clayton, I would love to take part, but as some of the other guys have said, 90 days isn't enough for me personally if I detail it the way I normally do, my builds take 6 months at least, but set up some definitive rules, and we'll see what happens!! great idea by the way!

Edited by guitarsam326