Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jean Todt's Ferrari FXX

David Thibodeau

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As someone from the U.K who has yet to post I'm going to start by saying FLIPPING ECK what a shine and those decals, I did the 911 GT1 test car but didn,t want to use a clear coat because my track record said don,t so I used Meguiars clear coat which was okayish but seeing that FXX I gotta do it, nice one

I have gotta say it again-FLIPPING ECK difference this time is that after I logged off last night I ordered one from Matthew at SMS and a couple of other bits my only concern is getting a gloss finish if I can get it half as good as yours David I will be very happy :lol: we cant get that Dupont stuff over here so I will need to look around and see what is available

With the holiday pretty much behind I decided to get back on JT's FXX.

The wheels were converted to be removable with all turned aluminum collars and threaded nuts.

P1010089-vi.jpg

Once the conversion was complete the wheels were primed, painted and decaled.

P1010095-vi.jpg

All the tedious carbon fiber application using Scale motorsport high def was applied to the interior tub and cleared with 2-3 coats of future thru the airbrush. Seats were also installed at this time.

P1010091-vi.jpg

The monocoque chassis was primed, shot with krylon semi gloss black and sides were carbon decaled again with high def decal and future.

P1010093-vi.jpg

Rear fire wall and sides were covered in cigarette foil made from templates and applied with white glue.

P1010092-vi.jpg

Here is the engine bay ready for the powerplant.

P1010098-vi.jpg

The overflow tank is provided in the superkit. Much nicer than the kit piece!

P1010099-vi.jpg

Rear side panels and fenders are complete. The chassis brackets are PE units from the Superkit.

P1010096-vi.jpg

Dave,

I bow to your greatness on this build!! icon_smile_bow.gificon_smile_bow.gificon_smile_bow.gif

I'd love to build one, too, but decals HATE me!! B)

The only other person that I know that can apply that many decals this well is my friend Hossain Salimi. You guys could apply decals flawlessly, (and with no wrinkles), to a ball!! Amazing!!

Keep up the GREAT work!! I can hardly wait to see this one finished!!

Later,

Dave,

I bow to your greatness on this build!! icon_smile_bow.gificon_smile_bow.gificon_smile_bow.gif

I'd love to build one, too, but decals HATE me!! B)

The only other person that I know that can apply that many decals this well is my friend Hossain Salimi. You guys could apply decals flawlessly, (and with no wrinkles), to a ball!! Amazing!!

Keep up the GREAT work!! I can hardly wait to see this one finished!!

Later,

I agree completely I can't wait to get mine but I am a tad worried about clear coating the decals , Dave how long did you leave the decals before you coated them

I got alot done in the last few days off for New Years.

Here is a sample of the beautiful brake assemblies in the kit. They are so detailed..... I shot the rotors with Tamiya Metallic grey to simulate carbon material.

P1010001-vi.jpg

Engine is also far along...... A run down here:

Block was airbrushed Tamiya Flat aluminum at low PSI to get the "cast" look. Valve covers were treated with Krylon "Suede it" paint for texture, then primed White, sprayed bright red,followed by testors dullcoat. The heat shield and fuel rail is PE from the SMS kit. I added all the plug lines using protech wire. Look at the brake detail on the rotors!

P1010002-vi.jpg

The exhaust was heat stained very heavily using Tamiya gloss black out of the can, Alclad chrome, copper, pale gold and Tamiya clear acrylics... I also added the O2 sensor lines and plugs. The blue coolant lines were added as well using Protech hose and detailmaster hardline.

P1010003-vi.jpg

The air intake is very visible on the engine top and really sets the bay off. I was very careful to get it right. Again Krylon suede it was used for the texture followed by Krylon ultra flat black. Then the red ribs are PE pieces painted red provided in the SMS kit. Ferrari logos are metal transfers from the tamiya kit. I topped it off with a oil cap from sakastsu and BMF clamps.

P1010005-vi.jpg

Here it is in position.

P1010004-vi.jpg

more to come soon!

DaveT