Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another long time hobby shop closes!

W-M-D

I just found out that Big Four Hobbies in Plainfield, Indiana has closed. I hate to hear this. It was a hour and a half drive to Big Fours but I enjoyed the drive every time I went. They would get you anything you wanted as long as it was avalible to them. The only thing I don't understand is why they did not notify loyal customers they were closing. I had six models on order with them and had not herd anything from them in a couple of months. So I tried calling all day but no answer and no answering machine. I happen to check another form and found out. Sorry they closed but at the same time a little upset that they did not notify me so I could find another place to place my preorders. I am sure I wasn'tone of their biggest customer nor visited as often as others did but every time I was in the store I sent more money than I want to admit and a budy that always went with me would spend just as much. Just disappointed.

I've been to the Big Four Hobbies a few times whenever I was in the area, which wasn't too often as it's 'bout a 3 1/2 hour ride for me. A great hobby shop and I'm sure they'll be missed by many. When I did go there, I did wish that the Big Four was a lot closer to where I live, but that's the way it is.

The only thing I don't understand is why they did not notify loyal customers they were closing.

Maybe they closed abruptly. Some businesses don't want to admit that they're losing money and when the end hits, they just lock the door that day. It's often when their suppliers suspend their credit. Other times a principal owner dies, and the business closes. I don't know this shop or situation, just stating possible reasons why it went this way...

Same old story, just drop in the name of the shop. Been happening for years now. In our area, the two largest and best hobby shops, the type of shops people would make a special trip to, have both closed. There's no going back... the old-fashioned hobby shop is on its last legs... it's just a matter of time before they're all gone. Sort of like the old "five and dime" stores or corner groceries that used to be everywhere... just a pleasant memory now. The way we do business in this country has changed forever. The internet is here and it's not going away anytime soon.

Maybe they closed abruptly. Some businesses don't want to admit that they're losing money and when the end hits, they just lock the door that day. It's often when their suppliers suspend their credit. Other times a principal owner dies, and the business closes. I don't know this shop or situation, just stating possible reasons why it went this way...

Same old story, just drop in the name of the shop. Been happening for years now. In our area, the two largest and best hobby shops, the type of shops people would make a special trip to, have both closed. There's no going back... the old-fashioned hobby shop is on its last legs... it's just a matter of time before they're all gone. Sort of like the old "five and dime" stores or corner groceries that used to be everywhere... just a pleasant memory now. The way we do business in this country has changed forever. The internet is here and it's not going away anytime soon.

Your right Harry, its all the time and just add the name of the next one. The one closed I visit in east Tennessee and he had vacation customers. I have started buying most of my models from model roundup.