Model Cars Magazine Forum

Woodn't - NNL Here I Come!

FASTBACK340

Tonight was one of those nights. You know, where you cut an approximate length and it's dead on? You eyeball a position and it's perfect? Very little scrape...

Tonight we decided on trimming back the cowl, installing a better radiator, fabricating engine mounts, and making positive location tabs for the body. It may look like I'm just pushing the same bits-n-pieces around, but there IS progress.

Here's a few mock-up shots

WoodyBody1002-vi.jpg

WoodyBody1001-vi.jpg

WoodyBody1003-vi.jpg

Tomorrow I have plans, and I have a concert on Wed. but I'm off on Thurs. I'm hoping to have epic progress this weekend.....

Wait... it's going to get better. I'm going to start detailing the engine next. My favorite part ;)

I know it's been a few days since an update but busy doesn't start to explain things.

NNL East is 7 days away. My Woody needs some love (no snide remarks here....) and more than likely you'll all see me panic and unravel trying to get this thing finished. Entertainment promised.... :o

More to come...... ;)

Looking good John! B)

Why sweat getting your Woody done :lol:;) when you can just put it on the primer/WIP table at the show? Last time I attended in '11, the WIPs got more looks there than in the judged portion I think...there are always GREAT builds in progress in primer!

OK, life has been challenging me to find spare time. Today I forfeited a nice day outside and stayed in the hobby room with Pandora cranking out some serious tunes. And we made progress! First up: I needed a rear hatch. The one in the kit would have been too fragile if I spliced in material, so I just made a new one. WoodyBody2001-vi.jpgWoodyBody2002-vi.jpgWoodyBody2003-vi.jpg Then we soldered on the radius rods and set ride height WoodyBody2005-vi.jpgWoodyBody2009-vi.jpgWoodyBody2007-vi.jpg Next up: One ridiculous intake on top of our Ardun. More silliness to follow. ;)WoodyBody2011-vi.jpg I'm off to paint the block, heads, and possibly the frame tonight. As always, love/hate....send it. :)

Looking good John! Can't wait to see it at the show. I didn't get to enjoy the nice weather either. Yesterday we filled the NNL East goody bags at our club meeting. Today I've been cranking out buttons and handling little details.

The big question, I wonder how many guys are working on their NNL East models instead of doing their taxes?? :rolleyes:

I get money back, mine are done buy the end of Jan. :) I honestly think I have a shot at NNL East with this thing. I got all the annoying fabricating & soldering done today. Now it's just a matter of paint & assembly, believe it or not! See? Metalizer's rule! WoodyEngine2001-vi.jpg Stay tuned kiddies..... ;)

Thanks Bill. Watching you, Randy, John, and all the other notable builders only encourages me to try a little harder. Before my hiatus I was building often and hitting all the shows from Ohio to Mass. Then about 9 yrs. ago I stopped building, but never left the hobby.

It feels good to get back in active again.

Go ahead, keep encouraging me! ;)

Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it (especially since its positive!) and I'm trying my best to have it done for NNL East.

As for the sheet metal I'm using, I had gotten a small amount from a friend whom told me it was stainless steel shim stock. It cuts with manicure scissors and leaves a straight, smooth edge. This stuff is great for flat surfaces, but will kink & ripple like tin foil if you get rough....

I went back up to work some more last night after my last post. But when I started cursing louder than the music playing in the room my Wife suggested it was bed time. The intake is making me nuts. Kinda like hearding cats with greased hands. You'll see (hopefully....) later tonight.

I'm having so much fun with this....B)

Edited by FASTBACK340

OK... as good as yesterday was, today the opposite. The F`up Faries came crawling out from the dark corners and took up some bench space. After 2 hours of not making progress, I packed it in. I painted a few small bits so I can get the engine done. Tomorrow I hope to have everything in finish primer. Provided I can get it done before I have to go out... WoodyBody2010-vi.jpg Here the firewall is roughed in. Woody_Engine2001-vi.jpgWoody_Engine2002-vi.jpg Some minor filling and were ready for the finish coat, which is going to be.... Woody_Engine2003-vi.jpg I'm a Mopar guy. I love the old long ram intakes on the 413's. I have a six barrel on my Barracuda. Let's do both....provided I don't loose my mind aligning everything. Six Stromberg's will reside on the runners with some sa-weeet curved air horns from my friend Norm at Replicas & Miniatures. To say it's going to be a bit visual is an understatement. More to come. Nitey-nite....

What happened is I thought the original runners were too thin, so I beefed it up. But now the runners don't FIT between each other when they cross over. I might drop the cross ram idea.., :o

I'm busy tonight, so maybe its good I take a break. Besides, this ensures Kaos later in the week.