Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 GMC General/Chevy Bison update 49 teaser

• 1 month later...

FINALLY back in the saddle and settle.

Ol' Lugnut will be cranking up and gettin' busy here. The General did not make the trip from NC to Montana totally in tact but hey, that just gives opportunity for improvement right?

BTW - if anybody has a used little air brush compressor and possibly a decent double action airbrush for trade for ???, I would be real interested. It must be quiet though as I am back in a hotel room. Hopefully the same one for a long time... Just PM me.

Peace.

cableftreardone001-vi.jpg

Edited by olsbooks

And work resumes. Lugnut has always been fascinated by all the little pointers bouncing up and down on the gauges. Heck, I have a hard time getting him away from staring at a popcorn popper. So to keep the peace, a superdetailed instrument panel is in the works.

Plans are to backlight the gauges like that done on the 1/16 KW Gold Nugget using a fabricated light tube and LED. Paper will be used as an overlay to recreate the gauge bezels and window screen for the air condition vents.

Peace.

instrumentpanel004-vi.jpg

general29-vi.jpg

Edited by olsbooks

Wet sanding huh?

Lugnuts last attempt at that involved innocently building sandcastles at the beach and a big wave coming in. Not pretty. He gets nervous when the sprinkler comes on by his sandbox anymore.

Poor Lugnut...

Edited by olsbooks

• 3 weeks later...

OK Lugnut, "Ten HUT!" "Private Lugnut what are you doing to my beloved General?" "I think I've been robbed!" "Molasses during a Montana winter moves faster than you!" "Private, your days of dreaming about fiddling with a Hobby Boss Oshkosh M1070 are over!" Said in full Lee Ermey/Full Metal Jacket tone.

OK so it is back to business. We have back burnered the hood and fenders and moved back into something do-able. Cab doors and finishing up the instrument panel. The door is outlined with baling wire that will wind up being black to represent the door seal. Yes, that is backwards from the real thing where the seal was on the frame but is an artistic liberty made to simplify life and add rigidity to the door. The inner panel will remain removable until the door is painted. While it may not come to pass, right now it is set up so that the window can slide up and down. If possible, hopes are to make the vent window movable also. About the only detail that will not be put on the door is the actual latching mechanism and striker. The handle/armrest is still in the tweaking stages as dear Lugnut forgot about the door lock pull knob and made it too long so it goes far too forward.

Door panel fabric will likely be finished off with some sort of paper as the pattern would be too hard to replicate with paint and plastic. The hinges are "hidden" jewelry box hinges. A "faux" version of the external piano hinge as used on the real thing will be set on the cab later to keep scale. The thought of the moment is the hidden hinge will offer far more durability, not be out of scale, and yet keep costs down. Besides, it is what is on hand. We will see how this plays out.

And so, Lugnut is FINALLY back on task. A little rattled by his reality but focused. At least until a butterfly goes by or someone starts messing with him by wiggling around a laser pointer on the floor... And I SURELY would not do that.....errr...yeah..

Peace.

general24-vi.jpg

Edited by olsbooks

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a stab at some door panels. A few artistic liberties are being taken and clean up is still required, obviously. They are scratchbuilt and "free hand" out of scraps of plastic, wire, thread, and whatever else Lugnut could find in the garbage. Getting him away from the week old pastrami on rye he found was more of a challenge than anything.

The panels are still loose and will remain so until paint and the glass goes in. Windows still have chances of movement so far but the vent windows at this point are simply are going to be a bit much to tackle. The ability to add it in still exists and will until paint, but durability is a grave concern. Certainly am open to suggestions. Plans are to use high end paper "overlay" for the fabric portions as prior attempts at this have gone well and keeps costs down.

Surely hope this hinge deal work out reasonably well. Durability is first so if I can place the "dummy" piano hinges on the exterior once the doors are in and fully closed, it should suffice. Only when open should they be "away" but will not be easily visible anyway. Famous last words.

All about durability and cost at this point. Delusions of making this thing an RC or at minimum putting it on some sort of powered dynamometer/rollers still run around like visions of sugar plumbs dancing in my head.

Peace.

doorpanelsprelim001-vi.jpg

Edited by olsbooks

Thanks JT.

I am not satisfied with the "map pockets".. They need more of a "soft vinyl" shape and appearance.

In bumbling around in my typical daze, I stumbled across a scrap of very thin aluminum about as thick as 4 or 5 layers of tinfoil. Very bendable but thick enough it will hold its shape even if bumped by an errant finger. It surely is hard to make something look loosely wrinkled, tucked, or flopped over starting with sheet plastic or paper. If this does not work, then a stab at whiddling something out of wood might emerge.

We shall see.

Peace.

Just experimenting.

The thin aluminum seems to be working out well. While it does not show well at all in these photos, with a little bit of touch up and weathering to highlight the folds, it seems to be about right. 400 grit paper is being used for the "carpet" portions which was a really thin, short knap from the factory not like that used on the floor. The upper red "fabric" portion is a rough sparkle black craft paper left over from ??? and then a single pass made with a wide brush of Valejo red acrylic. Plans are to go back over it once thoroughly dry and "dry brush" a checkerboard pattern in with black to bring out the pattern. Once that is done then will fab up power window switches and GMC emblem on the lower portion.

The chrome "strip" at the lower portion of the door became necessary. I failed to leave enough depth from the floor pan to cab sides (scroll back up) so it was necessary to keep the bottom bit of the door thinner to allow door closing. What is that saying? Ooooops.

All still a trial and error at this point destined to gets lots more tweaks and clean ups, but getting closer.

Peace.

Edited by olsbooks

Thanks for the kind comments. Outside the box? More than you know. A dog off a leash is more like it.

Anyhoo...as those that know my posts, I aint bashful about sharing the steep ascent and occasional crash and burn of the learning curve. Usually takes 2 or 3 times. And so, here we go. Not too shabby. I guess the truck just wound up being red. Had not planned on that but was curious to see some color on it and it is what is on hand. The panel is still removable so pardon the sloppy fit and still got to whip up some new latches. Might try making some with the heavy foil and see what happens as it is much thinner than the old jewelry stuff laying around. Messed up in having the map pocket down a bit low.

Close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades. No, no Lugnut. That is an expression. You can come up now.

Peace.

passengerdoorpanelfinal002-vi.jpg

Edited by olsbooks

Trial fit. Certainly not perfection or even close to it, but for improvised scraps, it works. You can see here how the "oops" and why the lower bit of the door panel had to be made considerably thinner to clear the floor board.

Plans are to whip up a big road atlas along with a few burger wrappers along with psych ward release papers to throw in the map pocket on the drivers side and take advantage of the "sag" unintentionally put in it. Hopefully something will emerge for better power window switches but for now, it will fly. All is just laid in at this point so when it comes time to paint, it should not be too much trouble.

Guess we can tout some 1:1 authenticity.as In the early 80's, GMC went with what was a first one of the first hard "plastic" skinned doors on the General and the Astro.

On to the instrument panel or seats next. Stay tuned for more trials and tribulations. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Peace

Edited by olsbooks

Thanks.

No progress on the hood. The grille surround and fenders especially are giving me fits. Just need to keep my eyes open and find something that can be "repurposed" into fenders. I lack the tools and talent to whip up such complex "mirror image" parts from scratch. Little parts like power window switches are one thing. Fenders obviously are an area of high visibility and while perhaps the right thing to do, I cannot forgive what would be such an apostasy. A fine line between foolish and fearless and for once trying to stay on the correct side of that line.

Need to literally stroll through a junk yard and look inside some old appliances, auto interior parts or ????. If it was 1/25 scale, hacking up a oversized ice cube tray I stumbled across would have worked. Just got to keep the eyes open. Always open for suggestions.

Peace.

Edited by olsbooks