Model Cars Magazine Forum

2008 TA firebird

A friend purchased one for me to build to his specs. I have heard mixed reviews on the kit and it really all depends on the body you get. The one I used/using is a tad warped. I've done lots of cutting and filling blah blah blah.

While the cars I have seen look great you have a lot of work ahead of you. While I have had his model for about 3 years I am almost done. I can only stand to work on it a few minutes at a time. It's one of those kits to me.

Here are a few shots of where I am at. I think windows, tails, spoilers and it would be done, but the biggest part is how awkward the chassis sits inside the body. Mine just plain doesn't fit. All the grinding, cutting etc and the chassis still sits kitty whom-pas.

09fbd9-vi.jpg

09fbd15-vi.jpg

Check out the fit!

09fbd12-vi.jpg

Chris

James, Mine came with two hoods and this one fit the best if that tells you anything. I told my friend I was gluing the hood shut. Super glue and 5 minute epoxy.

Here's where its at with the front which is three pieces by the way.:

09fbd14-vi.jpg

rear:

09fbd4-vi.jpg

Chris

Edited by crispy

I think the peak on the front of the hood just looks wonky. It looks to be at odds with the rest of the lines. Perhaps if the peak was cut off the hood, and blended to the nose?. Either that, or just tone down the entire bulged hood.

James, Good Luck to you on the kit. I hope that when you start you can let us follow.

While I don't care for the kit I got, I don't mind the look my friend is going for. It's just a matter of getting it done now.

I've seen other ones built that look great and weren't warped, I just got a bad one.

Maybe it will get me to finish my friends and I can get it out of my house.

Chris

I ordered the kit today, just waiting for it to show up on my door step, i figured for $15 i couldn't go wrong!

that would be cool, i am going to see if i can find some honeycomb wheels somewhere.

In a word , Modelhause for the Honey Comb Wheels . Thanx ..

James, there is also a seller on ebay that has some really nice looking honeycomb wheels with photo etch trim rings that look spectacular. They are by Missing Link, but they are $12 buy it now. Not sure if they have any listed yet, but I thought they posted here too.

The only discrepancy I would see is that they would be too small in those giant wheel wells on the car. Bigger tires or more material on the wheels. Maybe even lowering it would help the look. Just some suggestions now that I see I am rambling.

Chris