Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peugeot 908 Le Mans '07

Brendan

The next kit I'm building is Studio 27 Peugeot 908. I started the kit 2 days ago. Not much to the kit. The kit only has 4 resin pieces which are the chassis and the body. The rest is all pewter, which I'm not fond of. In my opinion, they should be doing more in resin. Pretty simple paint scheme, except for trying to get the black to match up. It's supposed to be bare carbon fiber, but it's a black on black weave. And I do not want to do it all in decal. I'm figuring to spray it a gloss black, lay down the decals, and then put a dull coat over the top to give it an unfinished look. But I'll see as I go along.

Here's what I have so far.

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

Intake and front chassis mount and rear section of the diffuser attached to the body.

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

All the pewter parts painted and ready for detailing. Rims painted gloss black and awaiting Alclad Aluminum. Disk brake rotors painted. The disk brakes are incorrect for the car; I'm thinking about replacing them. Should look more like the Audi R10 rotors.

Should get more updates soon.

Edited by Brendan

I think you should go with the carbon fiber :D .

Ken Mouton Started one was coming out really nice until clear coating.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=757418

Ariel :D

Thanks for showing me this build. It was cool all the way up to the clear coat. I wouldn't want to even guess how many hours he had into that kit. Do you know if he was able to fix it?

This does make me nervous in doing it in CF decal. I've had the same thing happen to me on big projects. I was going to try tricks with some paint and see if I can get a good result with it. If I don't, I'll go to the CF decal.

Brendan,

That is one really cool body design...it almost looks sci-fi!!

Good luck on the CF decals. If you're interested, send an email to my friend Hossain Salimi. He's on the forum as Hossalimi. There is no one I know better and has more experience at applying any kind of decal than Hossain. The man can get a decal to work on almost anything!!

Good luck,

Brendan,

That is one really cool body design...it almost looks sci-fi!!

Good luck on the CF decals. If you're interested, send an email to my friend Hossain Salimi. He's on the forum as Hossalimi. There is no one I know better and has more experience at applying any kind of decal than Hossain. The man can get a decal to work on almost anything!!

Good luck,

Hossain and I are pretty good friends. We usually end up hanging out at the NNLWest. He always does really good bikes. Do you know if he found the 1/12 scale Super Seven he has been looking for? I've been trying to keep an eye out for one.

My main issues with the CF decals is that they don't always look right on models. They seem out of scale to me, especially on this kit that I'm doing. Since it is black on black weave of carbon fiber, it is hardly even noticeable even with pictures of it. But I'll see what happens. If I don't like the paint, I'll put the carbon fiber on.

Hossain and I are pretty good friends. We usually end up hanging out at the NNLWest. He always does really good bikes. Do you know if he found the 1/12 scale Super Seven he has been looking for? I've been trying to keep an eye out for one.

Brendan,

If you're friends with Hossain then we've probably met at the NNL West!! We got together last Saturday with a few of our other modeler friends in Roseville. Do you know Curt Raitz, Jerry Cardinal, Al Monthei or Jackson Chih? We all met at Al's place, went to breakfast, then made one last trip to Diecast City before Victor closes the store at the end of this month.

Hossian got a Super Seven from me about a year ago. It's the one he painted yellow. I didn't know that he's looking for another one.

Well, see you in March at the NNL West!! :P:P:P

Thanks for showing me this build. It was cool all the way up to the clear coat. I wouldn't want to even guess how many hours he had into that kit. Do you know if he was able to fix it?

This does make me nervous in doing it in CF decal. I've had the same thing happen to me on big projects. I was going to try tricks with some paint and see if I can get a good result with it. If I don't, I'll go to the CF decal.

I think his problem was that he used Alclad smoke and ten used Tamiya clear over it.

I would had used Tamiya smoke in the acrylic line than used a urethane clear in light coats.

I have never had problems with urethane clear and decals. I did a Mercedes DTM D2 that the entire car has

decals all over and used Dupont 7600 clear urethane with no problems. There are cheaper urethane clears

in the market some that are even prethinned. The dupont on was very expensive about 76.00 for a quart.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress. I also have this same kit just not the time to build.

Ariel :D

Got some work done on the kit. Having to do a lot of puttying around the front fenders. There's a rather large gap on one of the fenders to the chassis that needs to be filled. Here's what I have done so far.

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

Rims painted Alclad Polished Aluminum.

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

Exhaust tips and fuel inlet painted different shades of Alclad. Steering wheel attached to the dash. Steering wheel had many photoetch pieces added to it to make it more correct. The steering wheel is one of the major downsides on this kit.

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

Body with primer with areas sanded down that needed to be fixed and filled in. Still working on the front at this point to get it to my satisfaction. More updates coming.

Brendan,

If you're friends with Hossain then we've probably met at the NNL West!! We got together last Saturday with a few of our other modeler friends in Roseville. Do you know Curt Raitz, Jerry Cardinal, Al Monthei or Jackson Chih? We all met at Al's place, went to breakfast, then made one last trip to Diecast City before Victor closes the store at the end of this month.

Hossian got a Super Seven from me about a year ago. It's the one he painted yellow. I didn't know that he's looking for another one.

Well, see you in March at the NNL West!! :P:rolleyes::P

The names sound familiar. I know I've met some of them, but I'm terrible with names. Good with faces. Many people know me from working at D and J Hobbies in Campbell. I usually set up near Hossein's models at the NNLWest. I'm sure we'll meet up.

I think his problem was that he used Alclad smoke and ten used Tamiya clear over it.

I would had used Tamiya smoke in the acrylic line than used a urethane clear in light coats.

I have never had problems with urethane clear and decals. I did a Mercedes DTM D2 that the entire car has

decals all over and used Dupont 7600 clear urethane with no problems. There are cheaper urethane clears

in the market some that are even prethinned. The dupont on was very expensive about 76.00 for a quart.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress. I also have this same kit just not the time to build.

Ariel :P

That's what I figured may have happened when it cracked. If I'm uncertain about the decals, I usually will put Future over the top and then put a urethane or another type of clear over the top of that. Let me know when you start this kit. I'd like to hear your opinion on it too. So far it's better than the last Studio 27 kit that I've done.

The names sound familiar. I know I've met some of them, but I'm terrible with names. Good with faces. Many people know me from working at D and J Hobbies in Campbell. I usually set up near Hossein's models at the NNLWest. I'm sure we'll meet up.

Then I'm sure we've met. I've spent many hours at D&J. I was surprised to see that Al quit after all the years he was there. See you at the NNL!! :P

Brendan

I know you from D&J Hobbies, used to work there myself, sad to see Al leave...

hoping he might make it to the NNL West, now that he doesn't have to work Saturdays

I too, struggle with Carbon Fiber Decals...they never look right, mostly out of scale

I use Tamiya's Black Metal Spray Paint TS-40, it has a dark gunmetal cast similiar to Carbon Fiber

If not satisfied, like you stated...just decal over it ;)

good luck

maybe see ya March 1st

I got very little work done. I was able to get the rims, tire, and brake assembly together. Also finished the seat and the seatbelts of the kit. Got the first two coats of white down on the body. The rest of time I've spent cutting the windows out of the vacform plastic. I had a little accident with the dremel tool and took a hunk out of my finger.

Hope to get more done on the kit soon. I would like to get it done for the NNL West in March. Fingers crossed. :blink::lol::lol:

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

Got the body taped up for the red paint to be applied but had a little accident on the way. For some odd reason, I've been either dropping things or hurting myself. This time I hurt the model, but was able to fix it rather quickly.

IMG_0924.jpg

Body waiting for paint.

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

When I dropped the kit, it landed on the back end. Broke off one of the end pieces. Glued it back up with some super glue and then used some Tamiya putty, sanded it, and put a coat of white primer down. I'm not too worried because it's going to be black and a decal is going to fit over that section.

Would have had this up sooner but I had problems with the paint. I've never had this happen to me before, but when I applied the red over the white, the red started to crack the white paint. Both paints were Tamiya's TS spray paints. First time for everything. I stripped the paint, repainted and got the red on. Now I have one more color to do. I'm going to try some experiments and see if I can do some tricks with the black to kind of make it look like a carbon fiber effect. If it doesn't work, I'll be using carbon fiber decal. But I actually think the paint scheme of red and white on it now makes it look like the Swiss Spirit Team. (For people who watch Le Mans Racing)

Here's some pictures of it.

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

That's coming along nicely, Brendan!! Are we going to see that one finished by the NNL West?

That's the plan if I ever get the paint. Black paint is the one color I'm never out of, but wouldn't you know, I'm out of it! Thought I had a can, but it was completely empty. I'm hoping to have it done.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my black paint yesterday that I ordered several weeks ago. Was able to get the painting done last night. I'm definitely not going to do carbon fiber decaling on the car, mainly due to time constraints. I have less than a week to get it done for the NNL West. Here's some pictures of the finished paint. The red on the side on the front I think I did it a little too far down, but it shouldn't be too noticeable with the winglets that sit over the top of it.

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

Got the decals on this weekend. They went down pretty well, except for a couple of the areas on the bottom where it had to be wrapped around a corner. Decals are super thin and easy to tear, but the white is opaque enough so the black doesn't show through. Was adding some of the photoetch and it seems like they mis scaled the photoetch in relation to the car. Very noticeable on the exhaust plates. Shot the clear coat last night. Should be dry in a day or so. Then I'll start assembling it. The pictures are of the car right after I decaled the kit.

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

The PE is really noticeable for the exhaust. It should go all the way to the bottom. I added a piece of foil.

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

I do love the styling, and those wheels/tires :o but this is why they dropped out of WRC? oh well. :D:)

The car is basically a Renault Formula 1 car with a body on it. As for the reason why they dropped out of WRC, from what I understood is that it was getting too expensive for them. They were basically competing against themselves, both as Peugeot and Renault. On top of that certain cars were being handicapped to try to level out the field.

The car is basically a Renault Formula 1 car with a body on it. As for the reason why they dropped out of WRC, from what I understood is that it was getting too expensive for them. They were basically competing against themselves, both as Peugeot and Renault. On top of that certain cars were being handicapped to try to level out the field.

Sounds like Porsche syndrom. :)

Gotta love those inclosed LeMans cars. I don't care too much for the spiders and opens.

And it might not be long before F1 goes diesel. :D