#1 2002p51

2002p51

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Full Name:Drew

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

This is a pretty cool time lapse video that shows how race cars are wrapped, not painted.

#2 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

They've been doing that for several years now, in fact most cop cars are done that way now as well. Cool to see the process. Thanks for posting. B)

#3 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph Osborn

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

It's cool to see the process.  I'm sure this style of decorating could be applied to model cars as well, as long as the vinyl were super-thin.  Wrapping with waterslide decals is possible, too, but avoiding wrinkles would be much more difficult.  

#4 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'm sure this style of decorating could be applied to model cars as well, as long as the vinyl were super-thin.  

Just don't use the MAP gas torch to make the vinyl conform to the model car's body.   :o

#5 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Teams still use paint as well,  Dale Jrs Daytona car was painted,  the teams trailers are wrapped now too instead of painted.   I dont remember when teams started using the wraps, but I know its been awhile now

#6 krazyglu

krazyglu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Full Name:Steven Witte

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Cool video thank's for sharing. 

#7 2002p51

2002p51

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Full Name:Drew

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

Teams still use paint as well,  Dale Jrs Daytona car was painted,  the teams trailers are wrapped now too instead of painted.   I dont remember when teams started using the wraps, but I know its been awhile now

They do but it's at a minimum. It takes two days to paint a multi-color scheme, and less than two hours to wrap it in vinyl. Plus the wrap can be removed just as easily making it much easier to do the multiple sponsor changes that have become the norm in recent years.

I don't know when wraps became almost universal, it was more of a gradual acceptance, but I do remember the first cup race I ever covered was in 1983 and the DiGard #88 Gatorade car was painted solid white and all the green panels and other graphics were vinyl. That was also the last year I ever saw a sign painter in the Cup garage. 

#8 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:56 AM

When is Earl Shibe going to start offering this for $50?  :lol:  That is an amazing process, thanks for sharing the video.

#9 Terry3

Terry3

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Borchers

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I dont think you could do a model like this. The vinyl is just way too thick.(I do this vinly signs for a living)

#10 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

They do but it's at a minimum. It takes two days to paint a multi-color scheme, and less than two hours to wrap it in vinyl. Plus the wrap can be removed just as easily making it much easier to do the multiple sponsor changes that have become the norm in recent years.

I don't know when wraps became almost universal, it was more of a gradual acceptance, but I do remember the first cup race I ever covered was in 1983 and the DiGard #88 Gatorade car was painted solid white and all the green panels and other graphics were vinyl. That was also the last year I ever saw a sign painter in the Cup garage. 

I know , I was just pointing out that there are a few teams still painting vs vinyl

I wish we could do wraps in the model world,  decal wise, its close, there is a decal maker that does NASCAR decals , and some pretty much decal sheet is all you need, or do the base color, and the decals do the rest.

Should also point out, that wrapping is just not limited to the race cars, or racing, the teams haulers are now wraps,  police departments are using wraps , and so on, its cheaper then painting, and its great for the resale value.

Edited by martinfan5, 17 February 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#11 THarrison351

THarrison351

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Harrison

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

I think it could be done in 1/64 or larger scale. The diecasts today are mostly wraps with a thick coat of clear, and difficult to strip compared to the old painted/tampo print.

#12 hooterville75

hooterville75

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Full Name:Deron Shank

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

we even use these types of wraps for our racing helmets.  Paint is a thing of the past ha ha

#13 hooterville75

hooterville75

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Full Name:Deron Shank

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Dang I wish they would box up and ship me the vinyl they are discarding in this project ha ha ha

#14 Chas SCR

Chas SCR

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Full Name:Chas Cochran

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

You can get the vinyl up to .0015 thickness at a good cost. But if you really wanted to try it on a model the cost for some thing that may work runs into about $700 a roll and that is .0005 thickness and is like seranwrap but it's vinyl