Thank you all for your comments and compliments! I'm just so happy to be back at it! So last night I finished up the dash. This required several steps, majority of which were done before I had to pack this one away for the summer. However, I took pictures as I went. First, I painted the front of the dash Model Masters Aluminum Plate. I wasn't too worried about the overspray as I was just going to paint over the top of it anyways.
Then, I masked off all of the front dash pieces that I wanted to leave in Silver and also the lower metal portion of the dash.
I then painted the top of the dash flat black.
Then it was time to mask off the flat black part and leave the dash pad exposed.
That was then painted in a semi-flat black.
And here you can see the contrast between the flat black metal portion of the dash against the semi-flat black dash pad. It's something that might not even be noticed when looking through the windshield but like they say...it's the little things. Lol
Holy smokes! That was a wild summer!! Things are finally slowing down and I am now able to get back to this! First on my list is to finish up the interior and to get the chassis up off the ground. Starting with the door panels, I had a HORRIBLE time getting foil to adhere to the door handles, window cranks, and armrest bases. I tried 3 different sheets of foil, I tried painting those pieces in gloss black (in hopes that the foil would stick to the glossy paint better than the semi-flat paint), I even gave up on the idea of foiling them and started to old-school paint them! When that wasn't looking right, I said to heck with it and I sent the door panels from the donor kit I've been raiding parts from, to Chrometech to have both door panels chrome plated. I figured then that I could foil those pieces, basically masking them off, then paint the rest of the panel. When the panels arrived and I tried to foil them and AGAIN, it wouldn't work. I switched over to my last ditch effort. First, I ground the window cranks and armrest bases off of the original black painted door panels. Then on the chrome-plated panels, I ground from the backside carefully until the pieces were free. I cleaned up the edges, painted the armrest pads black, then installed them to the black painted door panels with 5-minute epoxy. A ton of work and not what I'd recommend (just due to the cost, time involved, and the work) but I was at a point where I was about out of options. What's up with today's chrome foil anyways!!??? Anyhooo...here's the result. I feel like they turned out pretty good after all.
Thank you everyone for the kind words! It is very motivating to hear! Trying to figure out what I was going to do as far as a chassis went was a real head-scratcher. But, I think I finally found something that will fit the bill. I was wanting an Art Morrison style chassis and rather than investing all of the time and effort needed to convert the kit-supplied piece, I turned to the Wagon Rod. Not only does it have the frame I want but it also has airbags already and seems how I'm wanting to lay this thing out, that's perfect! In addition to that, it comes with disc brakes, a four-link, and an LS7 Chevy engine! Bonus!
So with just a simple spindle flip on the front, I'm good there. The rear however is a bit different. In the pic below you can see the height difference between the front and rear axles. The bags are already in a "deflated' state and the rear axle tube is almost touching the frame. Now, that would be all fine and dandy if I was happy with the current position. Which, I'm not. Must. Go. Lower. So anyways, be watching for a C-notch and a few modifications in the back...