Model Cars Magazine Forum

hydrochroming has reached model builders on

I don't know anything about this. What are you chroming with. Does it just require a spray gun and compressor and a catch tank or something? The results look great

I didnt do this but i will be doing business with said person its a silvering process similar to how mirrors are made, i followed the process and like 3d printers its very expensive for a startup but its a pretty easy business to get started in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXWxJPTBB94

Yeah, I became aware of this process some time ago.

Initially, I thought it looked pretty promising & simple.....until I saw the price tag! :o

I can get a lot of parts rechromed with Chrometech for that kind of cash!

Steve

Turn around is less than a week

Turn around is less than a week

Ok, I understand now.

I was under the impression that you were contemplating getting set up to do this yourself Frank. That's where the expense comes in.

I guess it's a viable alternative to places like Chrometech if this is the case.

I would have to hear a few testimonials from customers as to how the finish is & how durable it is before I would dive in, as well as whether or not my precious priceless parts can be trusted in the hands of someone I've not dealt with before.

Steve

Ok, I understand now.

I was under the impression that you were contemplating getting set up to do this yourself Frank. That's where the expense comes in.

I guess it's a viable alternative to places like Chrometech if this is the case.

I would have to hear a few testimonials from customers as to how the finish is & how durable it is before I would dive in, as well as whether or not my precious priceless parts can be trusted in the hands of someone I've not dealt with before.

Steve

they do 1:1s with it and heat resistant to 250 degrees and look at the videos its pretty clean process

The body looks good from what I can tell, but is it just me or does it look like the coating on the engine parts is pretty heavy?

I'm seeing what looks like material "pooling" around the bolts.

Probably not a huge issue with most parts, but I could see how it could be a problem with something like a fine mesh grille.

Steve

The body looks good from what I can tell, but is it just me or does it look like the coating on the engine parts is pretty heavy?

I'm seeing what looks like material "pooling" around the bolts.

Probably not a huge issue with most parts, but I could see how it could be a problem with something like a fine mesh grille.

Steve

grills wont be a problem look at the vents on the impala cowl and i doubt the revell parts are as sharp  as mobius

grills wont be a problem look at the vents on the impala cowl and i doubt the revell parts are as sharp  as mobius

Could depend on the grille.

A typical "ribbed" grille, similar to a cowl vent, probably would not be a problem.

My only worry would be something finer like a '57 Chevy, '58 Ford or '58 Edsel grille.

Something that fine could be obliterated by too heavy a coat.

Steve

I think this looks like what "Mobsteel" did on the 54 Packard they

'Restofied' on the first show.

Chrome was $14,000.oo + for all parts to $8,500.oo Just for the Grill!!!!!!

I believe it is a 3 gun system.

Base/adhesive, Water, And 'Chrome'

And you have to Rinse every step Even while spraying the 'Chrome'

Mobsteel is on NBC Sports

(220 on DirecTV!)