Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 70 Ford LTD 4 Dr. H.T.

Real hard to see but it looks to me that the Hardtop and post sedan have two different roof lines, with the sedan having more of a curve in it above the side windows. That's why to me the Interceptor kit's roof looks too flat.

7934180764_e1cb1034ce-vi.jpg

8f47_3-vi.jpg

1970_ford_ltd_001-vi.jpg

olnes2597-vi.jpg

I am in complete agreement with you concerning the roof profiles between the 4 Door Hardtop and Post sedan. I have 3 Police sedans I want to build, and never touched because of how amt did the roof. It is correctable, and I may take it on one og these days. Maybe this winter. I want to do one as a Squad Car, a Taxi, and maybe a LTD Sedan. Modelhaus has the hood, wheelcovers, and front and rear chrome once the body gets done.

I built one of these back in the day, too!

I got this sometime in the early '70s and built it stock, painted green like on the box. Then after seeing too many movie car chases, I decided to try making it look like it had been through some action. This was mostly done by holding it up to a light bulb to soften it up, making dents with a screwdriver and carving wrinkles with an X-acto blade. I left the right side undamaged except for several bullet holes made with a straight pin in a Dremel (had no micro-bits then!).

Sometime after that, a friend of mine was making a stop-motion monster movie, so I repainted it black and blue to match a wrecked/abandoned car we filmed with me in it, then filmed the model being blown into the air by the monster (using a firecracker, which knocked a hole in the chassis and blew off the lower rear axle).

So this poor heap has been through quite a bit but it's one of my oldest surviving models.

Yup...they all had vinyl tops as I remember them. I added the moldings to mine as well.  The roof on mine was crushed in exactly the same way as Ron's ...didn't stop the original builder from slapping it together (with the window glass in backwards) and slapping a coat of paint on it though.  At least when they're this ugly they're really cheap.   

before.JPG

after.JPG

The flatter boxes contributed to bent A-pillars and crushed roofs on a lot of those Motor City Stocker kits...probably why the series didn't return for '71. 

Literally tonight I just finished building a '70 LTD hardtop, using Modlehaus parts and AMT's recent '70 Ford Police Car kit. I had the original kit back in 1970 and wanted another one. Since AMT did only minor changes when they converted their original '70 LTD to the Police Car. It was very easy to convert back. All you need are the correct hood, front bumper and grille, a rear bumper with the correct grille texture between the taillights, correct wheel covers, and whitewall tires. All of which Holthaus sells. Then you just cut out the sedan style window frames. The interior was not changed between the LTD and Police Car version. So nothing is needed there. And bingo. You've got a '70 Ford LTD four-door hardtop.

Could you please post some pictures of your complete conversion? I've got the Galaxie police interceptor and plan to buy the modelhaus conversion kit. 

Could you please post some pictures of your complete conversion? I've got the Galaxie police interceptor and plan to buy the modelhaus conversion kit. 

I'd love to show you photos, but I've had/have problems with loading photos on this site. You can trust the Modelhaus conversion. Like all of Modelhaus' stuff it is top notch. The only problem I found with the parts for this conversion was thickness of the hood. I had to shave a little plastic off the underside edges of the hood to get it to fit flush with the cowl and front fenders. But, it was not a big deal. Go for it. It's a great conversion kit.