Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 axle Snap Pete, Hettinga Tranportation. Poor mans 379. update 3-1

I keep one of Hettinga's trucks while I'm out and about. I haven't been able to take a pic of it yet. I can't seen to find any online either. But, I know the colors of this truck. It will be a red metallic and charcoal grey. This will be just like my white and green 359, but I'm gonna try to to some detailing it doesn't have. This will be slammed, drop visor, straight stacks, big square bumper, basically a typical So Cal hay truck. This particular truck passed me today pulling a set of cattle pots. I don't see many double cattle pots out here. Maybe I'll be inspired, it looked really good with them.

20150422_220649-1_zpsk1kiaxcc.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.

Here are a few trucks in the Hettinga fleet. They have many more, just Google isn't finding any worth sharing.

And here's the truck of my inspiration. Unfortunately it's the only pic I could find. It got caught in the flooding on I5 a few weeks ago. It wasn't damaged, I just saw it yesterday and it looked show ready again.

You're basically in the same situation as Florida. Aren't hurricanes and typhoons the same, just different oceans?

Cold with heavy snow , torrential rains and mud slides. And people wonder why I live in the tropics? lol but wait we have Typhoons!!! Well no place is perfect.

Be Well

Gator

You're basically in the same situation as Florida. Aren't hurricanes and typhoons the same, just different oceans?

Clayton,

yes Hurricane and Typhoon are basically the same just in different oceans. And I used to live in Florida??? lol The last big Hurricane I went through in Florida was Andrew in Miami in 92'. That was a bad one for us.

Like I said no matter where you are.There are pluses and minuses. For me the Philippines works well all things considered. And no it is not perfect. But I can deal with it.

Now back to our regularly scheduled build thread!

Looking forward to further updates.

Be Well

Gator

• 2 months later...

Finally got something going on this. I decided to do Tim Alborns poor man 379 conversion on this. I filled in the air cleaner cut out on the hood, then removed the intake panel on the cab. Next I'll spray some primer and start sanding the edges to make it more rounded like a 379.

20160118_101401_zpseaofji50.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

Thanks for checkin in fellas. I appreciate the comments.

I did a little more on this tonight. I did some "massage" sanding to the roof line, removed the wing wind and squared the windshield a little. I also removed the vents on the side of the cab. Next I'll be filling in the holes where the kit air cleaner and Luberfiner tank were supposed to go.

The poor man 379, is a simple, cheating way of converting these to a 379. All it is, is sanding and massaging the corners of the cab, making them more rounded. It's "cheating" refers to not cutting and widening the cab like a 379 is. The 359 is narrower than the 379. The air intake tubes on a 359 are exposed. A 379 you don't see the tube with the hood shut. 

Now for filling in things. I fill in the holes that won't be used. I'll be making my own air cleaners, to more resemble a 379 Vortox style.

Looking good Clayton.

I don't understand why you fill in things.  What's the deal with the "po boy" look?  What makes this different?

• 1 month later...

I really haven't been in the mood. Haven't really thought about doing anything, or had those " I want to build that" moments. I've had a few kinda big family and financial issues hit me lately. But, this isn't the place to go into any of it.

Now that I dug and found the thread, I pulled this out hoping the distraction would help with everything else thats a hurricane thats in my mind.

I started doing some putty work. I'm gonna start on the frame, shortening and making it a single drive axle. I'm not sure if I'll cut the 5th wheel plate off or cut the 5th wheel blocks off and make new ones. I'm leaning toward making new blocks. I'm also undecided if I want to paint the motor CAT yellow or go with red to match the body. I'm also tossing around the idea of updating the motor to have an air to air cooler. 

I'll post some once I have something better than a pic of putty.