Model Cars Magazine Forum

'78 Ford 4x4 beater / scrapper's truck

Hey all, new here. I haven't touched a model in probably 10-12 years, and when I got out of it I was interested in trying weathered/rusty models, but couldn't quite get the hang of it. Ideally I wanted to end up with an entire scale junkyard. Well, I've recently decided to get back into it, and decided to pick up where I left off. Again, ideally, this will lead to a whole scale junkyard.

First up is this AMT Firestone Super Stones issue '78 Ford 4x4 pickup. I'm building this like an old scrapper's pickup, that doesn't get taken care of at all and is only used to haul scrap metal to the junkyard, a common sight in my area. Eventually it will have a bed full of scrap metal and be pulling a scratch built trailer with a junk car on it.

Here's where I'm at now. Still lots of work to be done, BMF, rusty wash trailing down from the rust spots, etc. But I'm pretty happy with where we're at so far.

D7uZ3w8.jpg

f5xoPTb.jpg

fLBeGhJ.jpg

xyBk9SM.jpg

Yb5v9Qk.jpg

yvZxEIZ.jpg

P9WA9Gp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, thanks. I had that thought but wasn't sure if it would bring it down enough.

Been getting a little work done on it. Painted and weathered the interior, used glued tissue on the seat, a trick I saw on here. Still gonna try to find some scale trash to put around inside. Making chain pockets and tail lights for the trailer.

IMG_20160111_142456600.jpg

IMG_20160111_141924542_HDR.jpg

Clayton... For the aged look chrome Id try using aluminum colored bottle paint or maybe something a bit more dull or dull coat the whole thing once done.  If you check the two threads for pickups and light commercial I have a 64 Chevy junkyard pickup build(Ill post a reply and bring it up the listings so you can see it) 

• 2 months later...

Hey all, I haven't been on the work bench for a while as I live in an old house and my model room doesn't get much heat. But it's warmed up a bit and I've been back at it on this truck. Got the BMF on, used matte aluminum so hopefully it'll tone it down a bit. Also scratched together something that every old beater truck in Southern Ohio needs - a gun rack! The shotgun came from the Rescue 911 Ford Taurus Police car and the rack is made from a bit of this, bit of that.

2hzn3ly.jpg

2uond6g.jpg

6nuona.jpg

11gm59v.jpg

97tjme.jpg

mmfon4.jpg

Edited by cdsbigsby

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the feedback, means a lot that you all like it, I always worried about my detail work so I'm thrilled you think it's good. Starting to work on the bed full of junk this will be carrying, got some rusty pipes in the works but for now a roll of chain link fence made from a plastic onion bag. The cab sagging in the back is just because the interior tub isn't in it right now, but it looks like worn out body mounts to me so I might try to find a way to keep it like that.

IMG_20160427_180732042-800x450.jpg

IMG_20160427_180916183-800x450.jpg

IMG_20160427_180808239-800x450.jpg

Super slick idea on the chain link fence and as far as the cab sagging in the rear does give it the look of rusted out cab mounts also nice job on the windshield,looks just right being you didn't go overboard with the cracking....this has been a fun to watch progress on your work!

• 1 year later...

Cactus DanThanks all for the input. Question, I know there isn't much chrome on this truck, but how would you recommend doing the chrome on a beater? I feel like BMF would be too shiny.

You can hold a can of dullcoat high, so that the paint falls in a mist creating uneven spots,  then sprinkle on brown pastel powders or pigments,  it will stick in random areas creating rust pitting. It then also dulls the chrome without being overkill. That is what I have done here. 2v22DnV9nxEz24.jpg

If you want dull but no rust, you can just skip the pastels on the wet paint,  or even use very very fine sanding clothes,  like 6000 or even 8000 grit, sand then evenly,  then rub on pastel powders in various shades to stimulate dirt and age. 

I also had a go at this kit,  also weathered,  which you can check out here.  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/124468-cactus-dan-1978-ford-pickup/

I will be looking forward to more on your project.