Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Difference between 265 and 327 motor

Is there a difference between what a chevy 265 and a 327 looks like in a kit motor? I have a couple of motors that I don't know which kit they came from and have thrown away the kit instructions for reference. I had started and finished a few over the years and took some back apart because I didn't like the outcome. Boxed up a couple of motors and now I am starting another new kit and the motors look the same including the transmissions as the new one. I thought I would just use an old motor that is painted and complete but not sure if it is a 265 or 327. It wouldn't make any difference to me but if I decide to post some with the old motor in it, I would like to know if there was a difference between the two.

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

These are both "smallblock" Chevy engines, and as such, are almost identical in external appearance...especially in the scales like 1/24 / 1/25.

Same goes for 283, 302, 305 and many 350 & 400 Chevy engines. There are specific differences in the oil-filter designs on the early 265 and later engines, and also specific differences in valve-covers, accessory drives, induction and exhaust setups, etc...for each application.

Best thing to do to be certain you're right with accessories...if you're building factory-stock...is to Google image-search the car you want to model.

if you're building a hot-rod or race-car, or anything that is supposed to have had an engine swap, you can substitute any smallblock Chevy and call it whatever displacement you like. No one can tell (unless it has the early oil-filter configuration). :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Like Bill said, there is very little difference between any of the small block chevys. The first year 265 (55) had no oil filter. that was fixed in 1956 with a big spin-on cartridge style filter. Some inherent differences in exhaust manifolds up through the years and generator to alternator differences but most of those will be overlooked by "most" modelers unless they also build the big (1:1) models... :)

Mark

Mark's right...and I misled you slightly. The '55 265 block didn't have any oil-filter boss on the lower side like the later blocks do. There was a semi-useless optional high-mounted filter available. From '56 onward, the filter is in the lower, on-block location familiar to everyone.

This is the add-on '55 filter setup.

ca0813-161484_8.jpg

Later engines will have it here, block-mounted low on the left side...

0011or_08_z%2Bchevy_4x4_high_horsepower_

THE ONLY WAY I COULD TELL AN EARLY MOTOR WAS THE BOLT PATTERN ON THE VALVE COVERS

'55-'59, staggered bolt pattern...   1959-corvette-valve-cover.jpg

'59-'86, top and bottom bolts straight across from each other...  

11106_cast_su2_lg.jpg

'87 to '97...                  141-130.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Another difference from the '55-'57 blocks to the '58 and later are the motor mounts. The '55-'57 have the "Birds Leg" mounts on the front of the bloc, and lack the 3 bolt bosses on the sides of the block found on the '58 and later. The later engines have the provisions for both styles, as the trucks still used the Birds Leg mounts through '59. Most scale engines I've seen lack this detail, though.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1955/55csm0648.html Figure 63 shows the '55-'57 Passenger mounts.

Spin on oil filters did not come on the scene until around 67 or 68.

Well, I guess the built motor I have didn't come from the '57 chevy that I took back apart. It has a place for the filter but the filter isn't on it. In my teen years, I had a '56 chevy but I can't remember anything about a filter. I know I would have changed the oil myself but this old brain won't work on remembering that.

Mark's right...and I misled you slightly. The '55 265 block didn't have any oil-filter boss on the lower side like the later blocks do. There was a semi-useless optional high-mounted filter available. From '56 onward, the filter is in the lower, on-block location familiar to everyone.

This is the add-on '55 filter setup.

ca0813-161484_8.jpg

This is correct unless the car was one of the rare ones with factory A/C, in which case the filter housing was on the driver's side and the A/C compressor was on the passenger side.

Also, it is my understanding (be it right or wrong) that the oil filter was a dealer-installed option.

Edited by BigTallDad

While most were dealer installed, the filter could be had as a factory installed option, RPO 237. That filter is actually a much better filter than one would think. Since it's a bypass style, the filter media has a much smaller micron filtration than the later full flow filtration, and does catch much more contaminants than the full flow versions do.