Model Cars Magazine Forum

Melbourne Model Truck Accessories

Funny you say that, I am actually getting ready to make some 8V92 valve covers for my BRBO build. I have the masters made, I just need to make molds and then cast them. I can hook you up with a set when I have them done.

Count me in for a set. I've been working on set for the Auslowe 6v-92, but not sure how they will turn out yet.

Ausowe has good stuff. The 92s that I have seen from them have the 71 style valve covers  like the 92s found in the AMT kits such as the Aerodyne and the General. I'm want to get some that more resemble the more squared look of the 92 valve covers. I'm looking forward to seeing what KJ creates. 

Kurt, Sounds like your 8V92 valve covers are going to be popular!

Brian, I thought the AMT Kenworth Aerodyne COE has an 8V71T in it?  It looks similar to the 8V71 in the GMC Astro/95 & Chevrolet Titan/90 kit.  The engine in the GMC General & Chevrolet Bison kits looks bigger.

Kurt, Sounds like your 8V92 valve covers are going to be popular!

Brian, I thought the AMT Kenworth Aerodyne COE has an 8V71T in it?  It looks similar to the 8V71 in the GMC Astro/95 & Chevrolet Titan/90 kit.  The engine in the GMC General & Chevrolet Bison kits looks bigger.

Your right Jim, that it what it actually is. I thought that it was labeled as a 92 but I may be wrong.

I'm pretty sure the K100 aerodyne is labelled as an 8V92 on the box. I could be wrong, but I believe the 8V71 and the 8V92 were the same physical size, but the valve covers were different beyond the very early years of the 8V92.

I only have the reissue & the Esci kits in the stash (I do have an original box, though).  The wording on the original issue of the Aerodyne is "Detailed 8V-92T engine"

A5306

This should also be the engine in the GMC General & Chevrolet Bison (but it isn't) as thew 8V-92N was never offered by GMC or Chevrolet in the General or the Bison.  On;y the 8V-92T.

Yes the box on the K100 Aerodyne reads 8V-92T and that was what the Malone transporter trucks had.
But I have seen pictures with the old style stamped sheet metal valve covers (both chromed and painted) and the newer cast aluminum (i think) more squarish valve covers on both 8V92's and 8V-71's...so it's more likely the year of manufacturing that decides wich valve cover the engine has....it's my speculation.

I only have the reissue & the Esci kits in the stash (I do have an original box, though).  The wording on the original issue of the Aerodyne is "Detailed 8V-92T engine"

A5306

This should also be the engine in the GMC General & Chevrolet Bison (but it isn't) as thew 8V-92N was never offered by GMC or Chevrolet in the General or the Bison.  On;y the 8V-92T.

Actually the 1977 general brochure on public fotki clearly shows several pics of an 8v92n in a general. AMT's kit is based  on a 77 general.