Model Cars Magazine Forum

Viva Raunchero!

JTalmage

I've always wanted to build a 68-69 Ranchero kit in scale since the Roadkill episode where they drive to Alaska to go ice lake racing... and fail.. twice. 

But since nobody makes one I patiently waited to see if someone was going to make a resin unit. So far no luck. But last week I bought a box of parts and junk off a boy in my model car club and among the items was JUST a body of a '65 El Camino. Which is just what I needed. I already had an unassembled but incomplete Torino Cobra kit.. and thought it would be the perfect donor. So in Roadkill fashion, I eyeballed it, and started cutting both bodies to pieces. 

Results... good!

I need to re-contour the quarter panels as they are pretty flat on a Ranchero vs. bulged on a fastback car. 

I am NOT changing the wheelbase on this thing as hacking up the chassis isn't something I wanted to do. I'm also not going to make the tailgate open only because the chassis is such low detail and the bed isn't that deep to begin with. I'll pretty much have to create the entire back half of the car from scratch.... which I'm not great at, but I want it so I'm going to give it a go. 

Anyway, enjoy this tidbit, hoping to get further on it this weekend. 

OOOOOoo, very excited to see how this turns out. I'd love to build a replica myself. I've got plans and kits queued up to build the Blasphemi, Crusher Camaro, Super Bee, Finnegan's El Camino, Crop Duster, and General Mayhem (pre-hellcat swap probably), and maybe even the F-Bomb.