Model Cars Magazine Forum

Optimizing AMT's '69 Chevelle

It's commonly known that AMT did a poor job on the '69 Chevelle kit's tail lights.  I've heard that Modelhaus has clear red replacement lenses, as well as front and rear bumpers that may have been based on the promo kit.  

Are any of these Modelhaus parts (bumpers and tail light lenses) better than what's in the kit?

Missing link does some resin upgrade tailights  And Shawn Carpenter does a rear panel. I've yet to order either however. The item that really bothers me on that car is the under hood area and the chassis. I scribed out a cowl and front radiator support from the AMT '69 442, and used the entire chassis as well . I've heard the '68 El Camino works well too.

Check out the Detroit resin guys too. I think it is Chris Morgan that has the bumper and taillights/lenses. And yes they are far better than what is in the kits. He also has a flat hood to model a non-SS car. And as stated above the chassis and underhood detail leave quite a bit to be desired. Using the chassis from the 69 Olds W-30 or 442 kit is a drop in fit. To use the 68 elcamino kit requires some adjustment.

The Modelhaus taillights and bezels would be worth getting, even if you have to buy a whole rear bumper. Current issue taillights are awful.

I don't see much if any difference between the first-issue grille and the recent issues (I recently restored two originals).

Don't forget to take the leftover '68 lower body chrome strip off the body.

• 2 weeks later...