Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chaparral 2D/Spyder CanAm part duex

aurfalien

Hi,

So I am revamping this bad boy completely and bashing it with a Kraco Indy.

My original idea, while met with much enthusiasm here, was a total buzz kill when I posted finished shots.

I love this project, or the idea of it anyways.

Always loved that car. I had a few slot car versions back in the day, and have this kit. I started building this back in the 80's but never finished it.

Some day I'll work on it again, but I'm afraid I'll mess it up.

Best of luck on your build, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Did a quick re-paint/re-touch up on the axles and intake manifold.  The photos revealed a bit too much texture for my liking.

I got this awesome mini precision sander type handle from UMM-USA that lets me get in very small and tight spaces.

IMG_1776_zpstub8ppfk.jpg

Edited by aurfalien

Thank you!

I spent lots of time making the curves/fenders just so.  Would have liked a touch bigger but it was hard enough.

The paint on the wheels is a combo of Metalizer steel and aluminum and the chassis is a combo of Tamiya bare metal silver with touch of Metalizer aluminum.

The power plant is from a Karco Indy and I since repainted the gold shocks as it was not smooth enough.  The exhaust and turbo are totally re aligned and modified.   The exhaust bits are Design Master black chrome.

The tranny looks off alignment but is one piece and is off center looking naturally.

This is a looooong term project and I'll have to stare at er for a bit to see whats the next phase.

Thank you!

I spent lots of time making the curves/fenders just so.  Would have liked a touch bigger but it was hard enough.

The paint on the wheels is a combo of Metalizer steel and aluminum and the chassis is a combo of Tamiya bare metal silver with touch of Metalizer aluminum.

The power plant is from a Karco Indy and I since repainted the gold shocks as it was not smooth enough.  The exhaust and turbo are totally re aligned and modified.   The exhaust bits are Design Master black chrome.

The tranny looks off alignment but is one piece and is off center looking naturally.

This is a looooong term project and I'll have to stare at er for a bit to see whats the next phase.

Thx. am i right that the kit itself with no complete engine detail?

Edited by 花火

Thx. am i right that the kit itself with no complete engine detail?

The body and chassis are from a Fujimi Chaparral 2D which has no engine detail.

But the Kraco Indy is a Ford DFV V8 Turbo so this kit is totally Frankensteined, more of a concept car. 

• 1 month later...

Ok, I redid the chassis/tub as it was bugging me.

Although this may not look like much, it's been a lot of work.

I'm putting it down for a bit to do a stock box build.

This one will be on and off for a bit.

I may polish the inter cooler piping a bit more.

hey Brian,,,, this is looking good! i like that u touch up the intake and the other bits .one thing, maybe i would think about would be that turbo? it seems a little underdressed for the level that you are building this one to.looks awesome bro!

Great suggestion.

I'll detail up the turbo more.

I was thinking the same as I posted the pics, it was like "Hey, I can't really make out that massive Kraco Indy turbo, where is it?"

I have zero idea what color to do that turbo in.  Any ideas as there is already a lot of silver in that engine bay.

Edited by aurfalien

Brian, theres a few tutorials on how to build your own and how to replicate a more realistic looking  trbo on you tube , maybe try there.

Thanks Shaun, I went ahead and bought some really killer turbos/inter-cooler.

I'm excited, it should be very cool.

• 3 months later...