Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1978 Chevrolet K20 stepside rebuild

I sure hope this goes here.I got a old built and missing parts Revell Chevrolet K20 pickup at our UMAG club meeting last night.it was built once most parts are there.what missing a little later.it came apart purdy easy...so far.its in the purple pond now,its stripping purdy easy.the rear and front axles are not want to come apart but they have to.

I ordered a chev smb from a 57 chev to replace the revell one..I'm hoping it looks better tgen the version in this pickup.

I haven't decided on what to do with yet...so working on that.its not going to be to high of a lift.interoir changes will happen,more accurate frame changes and many others that aren't worked out yet.many question some here can answer to....I hope.

I never found on google to much in the way of what wrong with this one yet...but still looking.a couple of things like the roof looks a little wrong.the badging says c20,but its a k..not c.other things I don't like about this kit...like the engine.I can fix some of the trans and I want the automatic in it.rear and front axles look wrong for a 3/4 ton.I don't  know if chev ever made a 78  stepside in a 3/4 ton version...oh well.

Parts missing I know of are

air cleaner

rear driveline

tires,I have on of the baja tires and two of smaller off road tires,thats all.have to solve that one.

only one tail light.

no front or rear bumpers.

I have a hood,but it has to round holes in it for the puller or monster truck versions.

thats what I know sofar.I don't instruction to have a parts count from yet.if anyone has a copy or know where I can get a copy I would appreciate knowing.

heres the pictures so far........Thank you for looking....Chris

1978 Chev K20 High Sierra 1.jpg

1978 Chev K20 High Sierra 2.jpg

1978 Chev K20 High Sierra 3.jpg

1978 Chev K20 High Sierra 4.jpg

1978 Chev K20 High Sierra 5.jpg

Should be interesting to watch! For the instructions, check this page: http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/revell-6/revell-giant-tracks/

You are correct, it should be at minimum a K20 since it is a 4WD. However, I don't believe they made a stepside 3/4 ton (unless it was a long bed version), so it should be a K10. Tires, your best bet (that is not buying super expensive kit tires from ebay) would be either R/C truck tires or tires from a diecast truck from the store, you'd have to measure to see.

Do you plan on using the rollbar? If not, I would be interested in it. Regardless, I have the "High Sierra version" and have many parts that I will not be using that I could send you to help a bit. PM me your address if you're interested.

Great project!!

Depending on what exactly you're wanting to build, you have lots of options. On Chevrolets, the C series is two wheel drive and the K is four wheel drive. The 10 is 1/2 ton, 20 is 3/4 and 30 is 1 ton. I built this kit about 23 years ago, and I may be wrong, but I thought that it came with a 14 bolt rear axle and 10 bolt front axle which would be a common 3/4 ton set up. We used to build a lot of 1:1 trucks back in the day. A short bed would have came from the factory as a 1/2 ton, but we often put 3/4 and 1 ton axles under half ton trucks. The badging and even cabs were often changed as well. So, unless you're trying to build a factory original, you have lots of options.

Interestingly enough, I had a friend who had a short bed step side with 3/4 axles under it that looks almost identical to the way your model looks now.

Looking forward to seeing more of this one!

thanks all,I thought this is suppose to be in the...Big Boyz section...thats where I started it...but thats ok to me.I don't know about others thoughts.

Its still in the purple pond..but getting cleaner.frame is going to be a callenge to get in the purple pond.I'll figure something. 

I did get the engine pretty well cleaned.I started mods on it . didn't like the way engine was done,so trans (turbo 350) is removed,pan is off and the transfer case is off to.

the I suspect 350 sb now has heads removed and revells idea on the intake an top of heads being one is now seprated.will be cutting oil pan off as well..not alot done yet..lot's of work a head

Revell 78 chev 16th 350sm 1.jpg

Revell 78 chev 16th 350sm 2.jpg

Revell 78 chev 16th 350sm 3.jpg

Revell 78 chev 16th th 350 trans 1.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watching this one. I have an unbuilt Giant Tracks Chevy (the yellow one with a camper shell), but not sure if I want to even build it. I built the one you have back when I was kid, which is what got me to find the Giant Track version (I built it as well when I was younger). All my kit is lacking is the decals and it would be 100%. I seem to have a lot of motivation to start and then that stalls out and Im left with a half built kit. Maybe seeing what you do with yours will motivate me to get off my duff (hind end)...

Edited by BLOODBANE

• 3 months later...

Been working on getting the sun roof holes filled.its gettin there slowly was looking at maybe choosing a different sbc from some that look more correct and less issues.trans is coming along.will post a few pics soon.

I bought a old beatup Revell movin out van..glued mess it is.the frame was of interest to me cause in our model club here,they thought it was best if I make this a C10 instead of a K20..sense its not badged right...I don't know..still thinking what this one will be..thanks for all the interest.....Chris 

• 8 months later...