Model Cars Magazine Forum

Highway thru Hell

That one was intense. A few random thoughts:

• how does a truck like that leave the road with no trace? Crazy that the no posts weren't damaged or moved in any way.
  • two days?! I can't imagine what that would have been like
  • driver hung on for a few days after being extracated, so I'm guessing his family got to see him at the hospital
  • surprised they didn't airlift him out
  • Mission towing's driver was blurred during the whole show. Not the guy with the beard, the other one. Got me wondering if any of Jamie's drivers have said they don't want to appear on tv. And if so, would Jamie send them to any big wrecks.
  • I'll bet Jamie is bugging Mission constantly about that ancient International! You gonna sell? No. You gonna sell? No. You gonna sell? No. Etc.
  • Why would Jamie keep the wreckage around the yard? Wouldn't a truck that badly mangled get sent for salvage fairly quick? 

As for Gord's new truck, we do a bit of work with NATTS. A couple of lighter duty to trucks, built on Ram 5500s, and I think one carrier on a Hino. Their shop is about 5 min from me. Decent guys. 

Have to say, not a very exciting show last night. Wifey thinks I'm nuts, but I miss driving in the snow. Wish we'd get a dump here. Today is going to be 3 degrees and sunny, been like that for a week, is going to be like that for at least another week.

Sounds like next week is the seaon finale, andit's going be a history lesson; Jamie discussing the history of towing. And a lot of Mighty Mo. Honestly, sounds like a snooze fest to me.

I may have missed it in past shows, but does Jamie have a personal connection to Mighty Mo? Or is it just some old truck he things is awesome? I think I'd be more interested if I knew that it was the first truck he ever owned, or belonged to his dad, or something like that.

Edited by iamsuperdan

A head's up for the American fans just in case you hadn't seen, the Weather Channel is beginning to air new episodes tonight (Sunday 12/10) starting at 8 PM eastern. I believe these "NEW" episodes are actually season 5 that have been available on Netflix for almost a year because the info for these shows in my cable's guide listings are showing them as season 5 episodes. 

Finally got around to watching last week's season finale. 

I thought it was amusing that everytime Jamie went to show someone the old Mighty Mo, that person had a massive shop and a fleet of brand new high tech wreckers and rotators!

Random guy, three rotators, plus other new equipment, then pan to Jamie. Worn out looking Kenworth Aeordyne with chipped and missing paint, and a restored 40 year old truck on the trailer.

Everytime they showed a truck from the past in that Holmes history lesson,  i imagined it painted red, on the Coq. "Yeah, she's a 1916 Cadillac with a Holmes body, and can't tow much more than a smart car, but she's a good old truck with history."

I wonder how Jamie's fleet would look today if he hadn't tried the Alberta experiment a couple of years ago.  

First off, the guy in Lethbridge he went to visit does not have exclusive rights to anything. Alberta's towing world is a free for all much like BC. That guy was just a very focused businessman, who had his fingers in a few different pies. As he is no longer with us, would  be interesting to see what becomes of that operation, and if it can survicve new management/ownership. And comparing operations in the US to operations in western Canada just isn't realistic. Even with the exchange rate taken into account, equipment in the US is a lot cheaper than it is here, and operating costs are significantly less. Look at the fuel costs. That alone would be a huge savings when your'e running a fleet of large diesel trucks. THen you throw in protected territories and basically guaranteed income, and you've got a much different situation. I think if Jamie set up a location in the US northwest, he could do quite well. Plus it's closer to home base for him.

Second, the Albereta experiment was definitely a huge mistake for Jamie. I think his business would be much better off financially if he had focused on "home" instead of coming to Alberta like so many other people did to try and take advantage of what was a booming economy. That was a huge expenditure for him, and he came at the worst possible time, the tail end of the boom. Had he stayed home, he would never have had to incur the costs of setting up operations in Alberta, which because of the boom at the time, was insanely expensive, and then deal with zero work. Plus, I think by sending his fleet and crews to Alberta, he gave up a lot of BC business, allowing other tow companies to come in and scoop up the business he left behind. So yes, I wonder how his fleet would look if he hadn't tried the Alberta experiment. I'd bet he'd still be running his rotator. And Colin's baby would still be there.

Third, after this season, I too wonder why I watch. This season was kind of dull, and I think the show has been going downhill for a while. I guess for me there's only so many ways recovery can be made interesting, and after seven seasons, they're running out of things we've never seen before. I don't watch a lot of tv, as there's really not much good on it. So when a show I like jumps the shark and becomes less interesting, yeah, I get disappointed and hold it accountable. I'm going through the same thing with Walking Dead too. 

The weather isn't helping either. Tough to recover huge wrecks when the weather isn't causing as many headaches. And throw in a more efficient BC highways maintenance crew, and you just don;t see as amny incidents. Seeing a lot of that around here of sure. Heck, I have a plow that I built in September, as we usually move a handful of these. This one is still sitting here, on display, not surrounded by snow, and as I type this, it's plus 6 degrees. Kind of tough to move snow equipment when there's no snow or ice. And in seeing the weather around Penticton rtight now, and how unseasonable it is there, I wouldn't be surprised to see fewer big wrecks and recoverys further south. 

Fourth, there's nothing wrong with old trucks, but to go from a fleet of new and cutting edge, and then to get excited about an early 90s truck (the Python) I just can't do it. I get that it's what Jamie has to do to try and keep the fleet profitable and the doors open, and yes he still has to put on the positive face for the show, but I'd bet he's not 100% happy about where things are at right now. At the very least, he should have the fleet painted in JD red and white, make it look uniform. With all the different colours and old units, it looks cobbled together. Make the fleet look like a fleet, make it look like everything is part of the master plan. I think that would actually do wonders for morale amongst the staff, and would improve public perception. And the public perception thing is something I deal with constantly, and help my clients with. It's simple, but wow does it work.

And personally, I think that old Pete rebuild he has is the most interesting truck on the show.

And if he can get Bruce's old truck restored and running, that would be very interesting. Because it has real history with Jamie. Unlinke Mighty Mo, that may be a histoprical truck, but just didn't seem like a historical truck in Jamie's life. Other than it was a truck his buddy owned. Let's see Jamie truck down and restore the first trucks he owned. The first unit that really made a difference. His first heavy wrecker. I think a personal connection is one of the things this season was missing.

Fifth, for the record, I've been to Jamie's shop, and through work have had conversations with Jamie while they were setting up in Alberta. They've done business with us in the past, and we've discussed future work. At the time, we just weren't a good fit, especially when Toyota throws free trucks at him! That door wasn't fully closed, so in the future, we may end up doing something with them. So yeah, I have a good sense of Jamie's history before the show and I know that there's a much bigger picture than we see. It's like Top Gear. Most people don't realize that Top Gear was around for more than a decade before Clarkson, Hammond, and May came on board. Like a lot of things, there's a much bigger history than we are shown. 

Actually, that might be interesting for a show. Have Jamie discuss his history, not so much the history of Holmes tow trucks and where they came from. Let's go deeper into JD. We got a bit of that in the finale, and if they could refine that idea, make it more personal, they could be on to something. And get rid of some of these other companies. Focus on Jamie and Al. We just don't need the four or five other companies shown. 

Could you imagine driving a rig like that in lower mainland traffic?

Driving anywhere in the greater Vancouver area is an exercise in futility! I last did it in a Tahoe, couldn't imagine doing it in anything bigger! I get a headache just thinking about it!

Hmmm...someone should make a kit of one of those. Could you imagine how big a 1/24 scale hevay crane like that would be? Make the crane somewhat functioning too. i'd buy one.

On 12/21/2017 at 9:32 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Could you imagine driving a rig like that in lower mainland traffic?

Driving anywhere in the greater Vancouver area is an exercise in futility! I last did it in a Tahoe, couldn't imagine doing it in anything bigger! I get a headache just thinking about it!

Hmmm...someone should make a kit of one of those. Could you imagine how big a 1/24 scale hevay crane like that would be? Make the crane somewhat functioning too. i'd buy one.

There are kits like that, just not in larger scales. 

20170627_200617.thumb.jpg.b671eb5b053546dcc54c9fc473fe47ee.jpg

The crane boom is fully functional as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching a lot of the shows as it's now being aired in my area!!!!!!! I can truly see why ya all get jazzed up talking about the show!!!!!! Awesome show and awesome rigs!!!!!!!!! In the middle of the show where their turning over the "Turtle" on a rain slicked bank and using a 5 point hitch on it!!!!!!! Saved on DVR and hope to watch the rest of it tonight!!!!!!!!