Model Cars Magazine Forum

Operation Save a Glue Bomb: Chopped, sectioned, channeled 1932 Ford Roadster

BrianThomas

As I've been plugging away at a few different projects, I've decided to try and rescue one of my older builds, a Revell 1932 Ford Roadster. Digging through my styrene graveyard I've come up with a Flathead, so I think I'll be going with a Salt Flats direction with it. Of course, the roadster body doesn't have hinges, so I may either try to fab up some decent hinges, or go more streamliner, I haven't decided yet. What I have decided, is its going to have a 2" section, and got that done last night. I'm pleased with the results, but it still needs some work. Excuse the purple color... I don't know what I was thinking when I originally built it. 

Here's the before "stock" body, and after, sectioned body:

20160823_202731.jpg

20160823_202740.jpg

Got the grill sectioned so I could do a mockup... 

Original plan was for a flathead, but the one I have has got to be the worst representation of a flathead I've ever seen... so I dug up an old Hemi... I'm probably going to move away from the Salt Flats car towards a street car...

20160824_225031.jpg

Got some more time in on this one... got a few things done. Filled the frame rails in preparation for the rear Z... thinking it will probably have a suicide front end. Got the grill shell sectioned and lowered, and after bathing the Hemi in some stripper, filled the seams and got a good color coat on it.

That profile shot looks really good. Nice proportions, relationships of the wheels to everything else is great. You'll just about HAVE to do a suicide front perch to keep that look.

I'd respectfully suggest you try to straighten the line of the hood at the cowl...just a tad. It looks just the smallest bit sway-backed as is. 

It's so close to having really perfect hot-rod lines, just a small adjustment would get it to 100%.   :D

That profile shot looks really good. Nice proportions, relationships of the wheels to everything else is great. You'll just about HAVE to do a suicide front perch to keep that look.

I'd respectfully suggest you try to straighten the line of the hood at the cowl...just a tad. It looks just the smallest bit sway-backed as is. 

It's so close to having really perfect hot-rod lines, just a small adjustment would get it to 100%.   :D

Great advice. Last night I lowered the grill shell a touch more, so it should bring the hood down a touch... it may not matter much, though, as with the carbs on the Hemi, I may not be able to use the hood! I still want the lines to match up and flow, so I'm glad I did it...