Model Cars Magazine Forum

Audi R8 - Darth Vader style

Kmb0319

Zig-zagging from old to new, I moved into building my Revell Audi R8.  I love this car, and was excited to dive into this kit.  Seeing other builds and researching, this is a pretty car, but the black ones have a real presence.  The roof line and headlights make it look a little like Darth Vader's helmet, so I had to do that with mine.  I left it box stock, as this is a beautifully detailed kit, one of the best I've ever seen from Revell.  I also have to compliment the decals... again, the best I've ever seen in a Revell box.

Duplicolor black and my Automotive Touchup spray clear.  The interior is Vallejo gray-black and semi-gloss black with the kit's quilted decals on the seats and door panels.  I like the brightness alumimum adds to a dark interior, so that's what I used for the dash arch and door areas.  For the tail lights, keeping with the theme, I painted the red in the light assembly and used a little Tamiya Smoke for the lenses.

I did have one problem, and that was the windows.  They were brittle, the etching for the black areas was heavily faded and hard to see, and a little warped.  The right side window just wouldn't go into place properly, so I had to leave it out.  Anyway, I wanted sinister... I think this did it.  Hope you like it.

Audi_R8_2.thumb.jpg.50dfb00d5fc0bc352af5

Audi_R8_6.thumb.jpg.b9c2d0f9ef76d356efc4

Audi_R8_1.thumb.jpg.37588657995898c33725

The Engine, before and after placement

Audi_R8_7.thumb.jpg.8987dedd027df40fc413

Audi_R8_5.thumb.jpg.50aa053a2a52b264dc96

The interior

Audi_R8_8.thumb.jpg.4b5404a2bfe1f2b48354

Audi_R8_3.thumb.jpg.24a8bcfa76e90c22e5f3

Audi_R8_4.thumb.jpg.a9901b6b42e349debbde