Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 911 Targa

Scalper

• 1 month later...

Nice job on the motor, and I like the color. Do your hubs fit under the body? A lot of the G-body (rubber bumpers, 80s) 911 Enthusiast kits came with the wrong rear trailing arms (wider ones from the 930), which cause the track to be too wide, and the wheels not to fit under the arches. 

The crack in the windshield support/bracket should be an easy fit with some superglue. Apply a little generously so that you can use it to fill any gaps; sand, remask that area, redo the primer and color...and you can have it back to good in an hour. 

I've cracked at least one pillar or support in any Porsche I've ever built...sometimes 2-3x. Repairs are inevitable...

Edited by zak78

Nice job on the motor, and I like the color. Do your hubs fit under the body? A lot of the G-body (rubber bumpers, 80s) 911 Enthusiast kits came with the wrong rear trailing arms (wider ones from the 930), which cause the track to be too wide, and the wheels not to fit under the arches. 

The crack in the windshield support/bracket should be an easy fit with some superglue. Apply a little generously so that you can use it to fill any gaps; sand, remask that area, redo the primer and color...and you can have it back to good in an hour. 

I've cracked at least one pillar or support in any Porsche I've ever built...sometimes 2-3x. Repairs are inevitable...

hey zak. Thanks for the feedback. I have not tested the track yet. Now im worried. Was a pain to get the RS track and height right now I'm worried.  About the crack. I was thinking of fixing when I put the windshield in. Using the windshield as support and guide.  I have more of these kits in my stash including the 930.  I was hoping it was just the rs's that had the bad track. Well wish me luck 

hey zak. Thanks for the feedback. I have not tested the track yet. Now im worried. Was a pain to get the RS track and height right now I'm worried.  About the crack. I was thinking of fixing when I put the windshield in. Using the windshield as support and guide.  I have more of these kits in my stash including the 930.  I was hoping it was just the rs's that had the bad track. Well wish me luck 

Hmmm...which RS was too wide, the '74? I haven't built my '73 yet. Interestingly, 2014's re-release of the '73 comes with not only your choice of rear trailing arms, but also with a full early 930 (non-IC) turbo motor. They're like $17-$25 from numerous Japanese eBay sellers...I just haven't gotten around to hoarding them for their parts yet. If I buy a few more I'll let you know, and you can jump in the deal for cheap shipping.

Good luck, and let us know how the test-fits turn out! 

Thanks guys.  I chose the gold paint because it looked wicked on the box art 

yeah the 73 RS. Wheels stuck out of the sides a lot. So I had to do a lot of modifications. Also say to high in the back. Had to chop the shocks down. 

Looks like you're up to getting another Beautiful Porsche done!!! -keep'em coming........you do killer work!!!!

Thanks.  I really hate masking. So i use I fine marker to trace out the outline and paint within.  Trim alm down now. Even test fitted the wheels and the body. They fit.  

Wahooo! I'm glad it's working out. This is inspiring me to start mine. 

Installed the front glass. I glued in the bottom first. Then I glued the two separated top parts to the top of the glass.  Almost looks like it never broke. Did some work to the vent windows post picture. 

image_zpssmsws0gy.jpg

Edited by Scalper

Got a bit of bench time on the weekend. 

This one is a fighter. Rear view mirror fell off when I was applying it. Got glue on the windshield not happy and I have no spare. But I got the tail lights painted and the rear bumper painted. Will be assembled tonight 

Got a bit of bench time on the weekend. 

This one is a fighter. Rear view mirror fell off when I was applying it. Got glue on the windshield not happy and I have no spare. But I got the tail lights painted and the rear bumper painted. Will be assembled tonight 

let me check.........I think I have a spare windscreen!