Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Thunderbolt SS question.

I just got myself a Thunderbolt SS kit, in the generic looking white box pretty cheap. It was a sealed kit. The chrome trees in this kit has a very dull, plating on them. It kind of looks like an aluminum color. Is this typical with these particular kits? Or is it a fluke? I think it looks pretty good. It tones the shininess down, and I wouldn't see the need to strip the chrome off of many of the parts. 

I bought a case of those when they first came out. At the time it was the only way to get a Thunderbolt molded in white. I remember being really disappointed at the chrome. The explanation was they were trying to simulate aluminum. I guess they didn't know that only the front bumper is aluminum and everything else is normal chrome! I ended up eventually selling all of them off and thankfully Revell issued a white T-Bolt a few years later.

Edited by Dave Toups

I will definitely use all the parts for builds. Any of the parts, like the rear number and front grill, valve covers, etc, I can strip, and spray alclad chrome.  I bought the kit because I needed the windshield, as I cracked mine. Also I only paid 12.50 for the sealed kit. You can never have enough Ford 427s lying around. 

I LIKE the finish! The usual model chrome is too bright and plastic looking for me. I think it looks way better toned down. Same with bare ,etal/ 60's race cars were not show car pretty, restorations and re creations are much too glossy and perfect. These cars were WARHORSES, racing sometimes three times a week, open towed in all weather, they had war wounds.

Depends on the look you want.

You have the Model King Issue1