Model Cars Magazine Forum

fabbing flathead headers

So this is technically a question about a part that I'm designing at work. I need to put a tube with a 90* bend into another tube that has the same bend at the top kind of like old Flathead headers. I'm trying to figure out how I would make the cuts to the two different tubes.

CURB MOUNT.PNG

flathead header.JPG

It would be straightforward eyeball-cut-fit in a 1:1 fabrication setting...and then measure all the angles and make copy-templates for duplicating as many more as necessary.

I know some CAD programs will develop "fishmouth" cut-patterns for joining tubing at any angle, but I always make mine by eyeball-cut-fit.

So this is technically a question about a part that I'm designing at work. I need to put a tube with a 90* bend into another tube that has the same bend at the top kind of like old Flathead headers. I'm trying to figure out how I would make the cuts to the two different tubes.

CURB MOUNT.PNG

flathead header.JPG

Not sure what type of product you're designing this around , but from your drawing it would look as if it would be some type of fluid that you didn't want to restrict the flow where the additional piping inters. You could take an idea that is used in household plumbing. If you where to make a "break" just up stream of the second inlet that would allow you to assemble this type of manifold with the distance between the inlets adjustable by simply connecting straight pieces of pipe with fittings designed to aid the flow.

CURB MOUNT.PNG

flathead header.JPG