Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gasser class designations

You are absolutely right that there is some leeway in scale with motor internals, weight, etc. I think the point of most of the comments  above is it is noticeable if the model is a C/G car with a naturally aspirated small block Chevy and has an A/GS designation on it.

That's pretty much what I had in my head. The OBVIOUS screw up on gasser class posted on the car versus one or two classes difference.

• 1 month later...

It matters a great deal to me! Few things bug me as much as not even close class designations on models.If you don't know or are just not sure, leave it off. Also stuff like a 4 speed company decal on an automatic, two different spark plugs,  decals for stuff not even on the model.

ETC ETC.

I'm baffled by those that say it doesn't matter. Then put Wide Ovals on your top fuel car.

• 1 year later...

The back story idea is what i do as well. It's part of planning a build.

what year?

Whose car was it?

Shoestring or bucks up?

Sponsored?

Which motor, how big and why?

It makes the build itself more fun for me to create a little story and it helps me visualize the car as a total construct, not just a bunch of plastic parts.

9 hours ago, GaryR said:

The back story idea is what i do as well. It's part of planning a build.

what year?

Whose car was it?

Shoestring or bucks up?

Sponsored?

Which motor, how big and why?

It makes the build itself more fun for me to create a little story and it helps me visualize the car as a total construct, not just a bunch of plastic parts.

I do this too, especially with Glue Bomb Rescues that aren't painted in a factory color. I try to concoct a situation where it's a few years down the road, and has been repainted by Earl Schieb or high school shop class or at home, or something of that nature, to "explain" the less than perfect paint. Such models almost always have "Day Two" mods on them as well, so it all works out. 

I have now done enough of these glue bomb rescues set in the late '70s/early '80s that I have an imaginary car club for them called The Retrobates. Their only rules are, It must be street driven at least one a month, No Junkers, and Absolutely No Pure Stocks! :lol:

20 hours ago, GaryR said:

Here's the 1966 gas class champ (for the season ) at Woodburn Oregon, my local strip!

Not what people THINK a "gasser" is.

I need to build something very close to that. I've got a '40 Tudor g-bomb with hopelessly glued on skirts. Those radiused fenders will solve the problem nicely.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy