Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Corvette promo

Arjay 396

Another broom-and-dustpan job as I try to animate an otherwise stock and inert model.  Molded originally in Monza Red, a previous owner had re-sprayed it Marina Blue.  I started by painting the rims argent and running a Payne's Gray wash into the slots, which really provided a nice contrast and rid them of their all-chrome toy-like appearance.  After cleaning up some flash and visible sprue gates on the body I started "chroming" the appropriate details with a Molotow pen.  I'm still trying to work up the chutzpah to do the fender grates and I need to pick up the larger 4.0 mm pen to do the rocker panels.  But for a twelve-dollar Ebay orphan it's not turning out too badly.  I have the LT-1 hood stripe decal on the way and need only a proper Corvette mirror to finish the car.

DSCN1502AA.JPG

DSCN1522AA.JPG

DSCN1523AA.JPG

DSCN1525AA.JPG

DSCN1529AA.JPG

DSCN1530AA.JPG

Very, very nice! You KNOW I love this kinda work, RJ.

They made that '70 promo in a beautiful metallic blue, too. I have one that I'm trying to fix a crack in.

Meanwhile, if you'd started with yours in naked red plastic, or could strip it cleanly, and take off all the mold lines and so forth and then polish it, it might look something like this:

70VetteB03.thumb.jpg.2655ffb4ea81bdf1ca9

70VetteB06.thumb.jpg.120196573d0b95770e7

70VetteB09.thumb.jpg.540a5a6ed170f654280

70VetteB11.thumb.jpg.e1cc7da69aada53473e

The extra detailing you have done looks great. Have you thought about changing the color of the steering wheel ?? The red color seems odd with the blue body and black interior, but it also might be more trouble than its worth to disassemble the Promo.