Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hooper & Co Diorama

Anglia105E

The asphalt has been applied to the surfaces of the two streets and also around the zebra crossing and the manhole cover. Paving slabs have been laid along the full length of the pavement on the bus stop side of St James's Street. This required 140 paving slabs and there will be 18 curb stones, as well as a second drainage grate fitted into the cobblestones in the gutter. These photos show how the various elements of the diorama setting are working together. You can see a bus company workman just about to climb the ladder in order to clean the glass of the destination boards.

David

101_0336.JPG

101_0361.JPG

101_0363.JPG

101_0369.JPG

I just had a look at your link to the Flickr Diorama Models Photo Gallery and I can see some very interesting models shown there. Yes, I would certainly consider posting to that website, as it is exactly the sort of platform on which to display the results of my diorama work. I particularly like the 1938 Alfa Romeo diecast in the Mobil garage, also the level crossing and the old Bedford coach, as well as the Early Bird breakfast with the old Mercedes Benz. Thanks for the interesting link Gary.

David

I looked at that as well. For many of the photos it was very hard to be certain that it was a model.  

David your diorama just keeps getting better,  as do the images you are posting.  Your storm drains really add a measure of believability. It's subtle but works very well. Any time I need a boost I open this thread and get a smile.

Many thanks Eric for your appreciative and constructive comments, and I have just joined the Flickr group, having previously uploaded photos to Flickr purely for storage really. I agree that many of those photos on the Flickr group are incredibly realistic. The Guilherme Holtz memeber has posted a tribute to Michael Paul Smith, and his work is clearly high level. My diorama is lacking weathering and ageing (aging) at the moment, so I have to address this. Things like rusting manhole cover, rubbish or litter in the gutters, cracked and broken paving slabs, dirty windows..... that sort of thing. I appreciate you finding something to smile about when looking at my diorama postings..... my work shall continue!

David

While out walking this evening, I picked up an item from a most unlikely source, which was an indoor market aimed at the tourist market. Saw this Police Public Call Box and without knowing what scale it is supposed to be, I bought it for only £7.00 and brought it home. Standing on the diorama pavement it looks right, and I checked the dimensions of both my red telephone box and the Police version..... surprisingly the scale dimensions are actually correct for 1:24 scale. The model seems to be made of wood and it has lights inside, powered by a couple of batteries. This second telephone box could turn out to be a significant feature of the diorama setting and it is precisely what my Police Constable needs when he is on patrol outside Hooper & Co.

David

101_0380.JPG

101_0395.JPG

Parked outside Hooper's showroom on St James's Street, and behind a parked taxi cab, there is a left hand drive Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud I waiting to be shipped to Canada. This is 1958 and the wealthy lady client of Hooper & Co is Mrs Margaret L Sayward-Wilson of Victoria, British Columbia. The Silver Cloud is finished in Velvet Green which appears to be black paintwork in anything less than bright sunlight, when the colour assumes a rich dark green. Following some final detailing work to this fine motor car, specifically an ivory coachline along the length of the car on either side, the Rolls-Royce will be driven to the docks where she will board an ocean going cargo vessel, bound for the east coast of Canada. Then after crossing the Atlantic she will make her way across the country to the western provinces of British Columbia and her new owner will be waiting to collect her eagerly anticipated purchase.

David

101_0457.JPG

101_0464.JPG

101_0484.JPG

Yes Gary, there is a 1954 Vincent Black Shadow motorcycle in the scene, and also I have a Vespa motor scooter, as well as a ladies bicycle. The motorcycle is a diecast model, the motor scooter is a Tamiya built kit and the bicycle is a Shapeways 3D printed model. You can see the position of the Vincent more clearly in the following photos.

David

101_0485.JPG

101_0486.JPG

101_0488.JPG

101_0489.JPG

The Police Public Call Box has been painted, also given new sign boards and a new lamp on the roof. PC Dixon is now able to make use of the call box in order to make his important duty calls, as well as somewhere to have a cup of tea while on the beat. St James's Street outside Hooper & Co is now a safer place for the community.

David

101_0589.JPG

101_0593.JPG

101_0596.JPG

101_0603.JPG

101_0615.JPG

It is early one morning and a Jaguar Mk I has been abandoned outside the main entrance door of Hoopers. This has been reported to the Police by the managing director of Hooper & Co, who discovered the abandoned motor car as he came into work that morning. PC Dixon has called for backup, and also forensics to examine the Jaguar. - A second call from the constable's headquarters confirms that this vehicle has been used as a getaway car during a bank robbery that same morning.

David

101_0659.JPG

101_0672.JPG

101_0674.JPG

101_0683.JPG

101_0687.JPG

101_0688.JPG

Osmond Rivers, the chief designer at Hooper & Co., has arranged to meet a gentleman just outside the Bennet Street entrance of the building. The gentleman in the bowler hat and the long black coat has arrived by taxi cab and he has asked the cab driver to wait. Perhaps there is something in the briefcase that Mr Rivers is carrying that is to be handed over to the tall gentleman........ ?

David

101_0728.JPG

101_0737.JPG

101_0747.JPG

101_0751.JPG

101_0757.JPG

101_0770.JPG

101_0775.JPG

101_0776.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

A gentleman has arrived at Hooper & Co in order to view a desirable motor car, which has been parked outside the showroom for his exclusive perusal. There is no sign of a helpful car salesman on this occasion. The customer has asked to view the motor car in a private capacity, which has been kindly arranged by the sales manager. Standing alongside the 1914 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, the gentleman admires the wooden boat tail design of the coachwork. He finds the gently rounded lines of the motor car most agreeable. This is a moment of private engagement and there is nothing to spoil the experience. Discreetly, the sales manager might be observing his customer from an upstairs window across the street.

101_1076.JPG

101_1085.JPG

101_1113.JPG

101_1117.JPG

101_1125.JPG

101_1129.JPG

Thank you for your comments Gary and David, and I wonder if the gentleman bought the motor car?

Just about to start the next build for this diorama, which is an Emhar Bedford Dropside Truck ( Lorry ) and this will be the second Bedford for the scene. The other Bedford as you may remember is a petrol tanker, so this dropside lorry will be carrying an assortment of different loads, such as building bricks, lengths of timber or steel, possibly sacks of coal, cable drums, beer barrels or maybe a small motor car. There will be a tarpaulin sheet to cover some of the loads, with roping and sheeting scratch built properly and accurately.

David

You have no need to worry Gary, the Emhar Bedford kit is really nice to build, also it is of excellent quality. You get a choice of two different end panels for the tank and a choice of decals too. My box had quite a few extra parts that seemed to belong to the tipper truck version of the kit. As well as the tanker and the dropside LWB truck, Emhar do the tipper and the recovery breakdown truck. The instruction sheet is laid out in a way that is not similar to other kit manufacturers, but it soon becomes clear what they mean, and these instructions are certainly much easier to understand than those of Heller for example. The Bedford Tanker took me one month to build, as compared with the Revell London Routemaster Bus, which took me two months, mainly because the bus has almost 400 parts. You might find the wheels a bit tricky, but as long as you are careful and take your time they are okay.

David

100_9969.JPG