Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amy 66 mustang hardtop

Pontiacfieroguy

I'm working on a 66 mustang, so far I've just assembled the engine and done some painting, I used the parts leftover from my firebird for the air cleaners and velocity stacks, the shifter is actually the oil filler tube but I liked it better than the shifter that came with the kit so I painted it and use it. What is the best way to mark and cut my hood for clearence for the carbs to stick through? I thought I could put some tape across the body with the hood off and the engine in then take the engine out and put the hood on and be able transfer from the tape lines on the body to the hood to know the location of where the cutout needs to be but I'm not sure what the best way to do the cutting is, I tried cutting an extra hood I had with a razor knife and didn't get great results.

IMG_20171119_155059.jpg

IMG_20171119_154826.jpg

IMG_20171119_154835.jpg

IMG_20171119_012518.jpg

IMG_20171119_154941.jpg

IMG_20171119_155017.jpg

Im running into a lot of fitment issues with this. 127729-amy-66-mustang-hardtop127729-amy-66-mustang-hardtopThe drag tires that came with the kit didn't fit on height or width  so I had to trim the wheel well and made fender flares out a pill bottle, I'm guessing in scale they are probably about 6" wide. Does anyone have any advice on smoothing the transition?

IMG_20171119_155059.jpg

IMG_20171120_005340.jpg

IMG_20171120_005335.jpg

IMG_20171120_005331.jpg

IMG_20171120_005939.jpg

Myself I would have probably tubed the wheel wells, shortened the axel etc. But that's just me and my crazy ideas

I would have preferred to do that but the way it was designed I don't think it was an option, I'll take pictures of the bottom of the chassis when i get home an maybe you could teach me something I could do different if I run into this again.

The Hoonigan would be pretty hard to replicate.  On the other hand, seeing the craft glitter paint it looks "out of scale" but perhaps it could be a base coat for more coats.  Try experimenting on an extra model.  Just my two cent opinion.

IMG_1520.PNG

Edited by vamach1

The Hoonigan would be pretty hard to replicate.  On the other hand, seeing the craft glitter paint it looks "out of scale" but perhaps it could be a base coat for more coats.  Try experimenting on an extra model.  Just my two cent opinion.

IMG_1520.PNG

I love that car!!! I didn't paint it metallic, i got it like that and concocted a story in my head about it belonging to a man in his early 20's when he came home to Detroit from Vietnam in the early 70's and wanted to build a flashy drag car but didn't have much skill with cars. 

Got my hood trimmed to fit the dual carbs velocity stacks and air cleaners and the headers, it's not perfect but it's the second model I've built since I was a kid and it's the most custom work I've ever done on a model. I left enough room on the cutouts for the motor to twist when it's revved.

IMG_20171121_162708.jpg

IMG_20171121_162715.jpg

Edited by Pontiacfieroguy