Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trailer question

Hey guys. Last year we got my grown up step son a Revel 1/25 Freightliner truck for Christmas.  To our surprise he actually built it.  So this year he wants a container trailer to go with it. I see Moebius has a very nice 53'  trailer.  But it is also very expensive.  I see AMT makes one but the reviews do not sound great. Do-able but not great.  Can anyone suggest other possible options?

Thanks in advance for your help.

check my trade that I'm going to post Friday as i'll be looking to trade it for aircraft models it's, the Italeri shipping Container and chassis kit unbuilt not sure if I have the decals anymore but I think I do.

as stated it'll be in the trading post Friday if your interested, as i'm thinning the heard big time down to my race cars only all else to trade for aircraft.

just a thought for you also have a few other trailers

Edited by NothingAsFineAsaW9

The AMT trailers aren't fantastic, but they would work with the Revell Freightliner; although they are 1970s vintage.  I have built several of the AMT trailer kits, and I will say that the AMT tank trailer is a difficult kit. 

Revell does make a container trailer, but the frame is a European frame; so it would take some work to make it look like a US frame.

I have not built a Moebius trailer yet, but I have heard good things about them. 

(01) Van with Peterbilt.JPG

DSC01694.JPG

DSC00667.JPG

Ok, unless I've missed something recently, the only Revell Freightliner at least recently offered was this 1/32 scale.

kit-para-montagem-caminhao-snaptite-frei

The only others are the Revell of Germany reboxes of the Italeri Freightliner kits. 

4401362899_88fb79f962_z.thumb.jpg.b41c84

il_570xN.1335997819_fux0.thumb.jpg.25456

Hey guys. Last year we got my grown up step son a Revel 1/25 Freightliner truck for Christmas.  To our surprise he actually built it.  So this year he wants a container trailer to go with it. I see Moebius has a very nice 53'  trailer.  But it is also very expensive.  I see AMT makes one but the reviews do not sound great. Do-able but not great.  Can anyone suggest other possible options?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The AMT trailers aren't fantastic, but they would work with the Revell Freightliner; although they are 1970s vintage.  I have built several of the AMT trailer kits, and I will say that the AMT tank trailer is a difficult kit. 

Revell does make a container trailer, but the frame is a European frame; so it would take some work to make it look like a US frame.

I have not built a Moebius trailer yet, but I have heard good things about them. 

If it was the FLD 120 or the FLC you bought your step son and not the 1/32nd scale, as Jim said Revell did do a container trailer and it was also offered by Testors many years ago, and they are also reboxes of Italeri's container trailer. Also, as Jim stated, that trailer is done as a European frame with a very deeply set fifth wheel pin and a spread axle but it can be modified to a US spec trailer. This is one I did many years ago and converted to a US style frame by cutting the front axle off the frame and moving it back, moving the kingpin forward, and also using some spare parts box spoked wheels. The only thing I forgot to modify was to move the landing legs forward somewhat. 

HPIM1522.thumb.JPG.eb247f3c093d15e094e87

As for Moebius' 53 footers, they aren't containers because a container lifts from the trailer chassis and just the box portion is loaded on a ship or rail car, they are commonly called box trailers by drivers. Anyway no matter what you want to call them :lol:, they do build up quite nicely and are well worth the price. Here are a couple that I have on a couple in progress builds. 

20160927_231351.thumb.jpg.0a802f1005e27cHPIM4782.thumb.JPG.7984c45a1dd37dadcbcea20160920_004709.thumb.jpg.0d9508129affd1

Thanks for your input guys.  I see what you mean, I should refer to it as a box trailer.

I made a mistake.  It was this Peterbilt that we got him.

7fdc12ff5e117e3f9f18d5acc9437608--peterb

And this is the trailer I was talking about. It sounds far from perfect but may do the job.

amt_trucks20a49_zpsfibt7mvp.jpg

Edited by noname

On 11/25/2017 at 9:32 AM, noname said:

Thanks for your input guys.  I see what you mean, I should refer to it as a box trailer.

I made a mistake.  It was this Peterbilt that we got him.

7fdc12ff5e117e3f9f18d5acc9437608--peterb

And this is the trailer I was talking about. It sounds far from perfect but may do the job.

amt_trucks20a49_zpsfibt7mvp.jpg

You might want to upload the pictures through here instead. :)

On 23.11.2017 at 3:58 AM, Jim B said:

I have notDSC01694.JPG

Jim, nice work with spare wheel on Willson, and Chevy looks great too!