Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Chevy Stepside

I have so many abandoned projects that my wife believes I have commitment issues, I was talking to my girlfriend about it and she agrees....:huh: Sooooo, I’m trying to commit myself to pull some of those out of their boxes and finish what I start. Here is one that was tossed aside many years ago after some frustration with the original paint (a common theme for me), I stripped it down and started over. I intended t to be a gloss black, but ended up with a satin, I have some theories as to what happened, but I think it’s obvious that the model itself is cursed. I liked the satin, so I left it alone. Pretty much out of the box, a couple tweaks here and there, just wanted to keep it clean and make it look a really nice parts getter that you’re not allowed to put parts in. I hope you enjoy. 

CA3C45A2-DA4B-42D5-B798-5371EC078E2F.jpeg

BD221E31-1604-44E3-A433-B5C45C7F3804.jpeg

0CF21352-A8BE-428E-AFB1-AF2F696C2520.jpeg

85FA9963-38BC-4DDF-89DD-992E30D3D84B.jpeg

3CC68097-63B6-4085-83B3-50E68FF76532.jpeg

1 hour ago, El Roberto said:

Very nice, I like the satin finish on this truck.  Tell us a little more about the build. 

Thanks. There isn’t a lot to tell, I didn’t swap any parts, I kinda wish I had went with a different set of rims, but they were already a fixed to it when I picked it back up, so in the interest of completing it I left them. I did drop it a smidge, probably a about 2 scale inches, and I tucked the bumpers in a little bit. I always like to wire at least some of an engine, and I really liked the way the engine turned out, which is probably why I decided to finish this one off. If I remember correctly I made the wire looms out of an empty soda/beer can. I wanted to keep the body clutter free,  even though I like all the chrome extras. I went with just the one side view mirror, and even that was too bulky so I cut the length of the mirror in half and attached it that way.

4 minutes ago, damodelguy az said:

nice stance   real clean    is it from the box or did you alter the chassie some

It’s mostly box stock, I barely lowered it, I usually seem to go stock or lowered just above a slam, this was rare for me to go with a mild drop. Seemed to work. Thanks!

Thank you very much Slot/Love. The bed was by far the best I’ve pulled off on simulating wood. I used a few different colors of Valero and some blending of those colors, tried to keep with the less is more philosophy and not over do it. I have another one of these kits, I was thinking of a different frame, slammed, and an LS motor.  Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Nice truck. The only thing I can add is that the beaded edge on the front and rear clear glass is the window gasket. That should be black or you could BMF it for contrast.

Rats! There is always something.  Would you believe me if I told you that 55 was the year they used a clear glass beaded edge around its windows?