Model Cars Magazine Forum

WTH! Someone paid $2600 for a pre-built model. Why?

I'm about to try selling some of my built models. I certainly wouldn't use the term "professionally built" when describing them but they've all been well received on this site. Nor would I expect anything like the $$$ achieved by people like Paul Hettick.  

My main concern is how to package them so that they arrive in one piece - I could see that aspect being the major stumbling block. 

Can anyone who has done this comment on their experiences with packaging/postage?

10 hours ago, peekay said:

I'm about to try selling some of my built models. I certainly wouldn't use the term "professionally built" when describing them but they've all been well received on this site. Nor would I expect anything like the $$$ achieved by people like Paul Hettick.  

My main concern is how to package them so that they arrive in one piece - I could see that aspect being the major stumbling block. 

Can anyone who has done this comment on their experiences with packaging/postage?

I once sent a Monogram Duesenberg through the post to Malta from the UK. First wrap model in a thin film plastic bag such as a shirt bag from dry cleaners being very careful not to crunch it. Next another bag similar, don't tape it. lots of tissue paper then bubble wrap until the whole package is about 5ins around, firm but not tightly wrapped. If you now wish to tape the wrapping in place, mark on the tape where the tape is then find a box around 6ins deep at least or square at the minimum. Once inside the outer box pack it with screwed up newspaper to take up larger areas, maybe add shredded paper but if using the shredded type make sure it cannot get on the model or into the packing. The packed model should not be allowed to move in the box but not overpacked as to be too tight. Any movement inside the box could allow the model to move and parts break off. 
Well thats how I sent my parcel and it arrived ok unbroken. 

The thing you cannot control is the postal operator and how they handle your items. Personally I never write FRAGILE on anything just in case my courier has had a bad day :(

I would add that if listing on something like eBay or whatever in the description add that parts may break off during carriage, a well built model with minimal glue that looks stunning on the shelf may be far more delicate than the glue bomb built by an excited schoolboy back in the 60s ;)

J

Edited by HotRodaSaurus
spelling