Model Cars Magazine Forum

checking interest on 30 dollar limit cbp

youpey

I am checking interest on a CBP of a 30 dollar build. This 30 dollar limit includes the cost of the model, the paint,primer, glue, and any aftermarket pieces you want to put on. 
The only thing that is not included in the price is the tools to build it, like brushes, razors, side clippers, sandpaper etc. 
Any car/truck is allowed, but you must keep track of the prices (estimate if the item was purchased previously). I am assuming everyone already has paint, primer, glue, etc, but they still need to be counted in the price. if you bought the glue 10 years ago for 2 dollars, that 2 dollars must be included in the total, even though you aren't purchasing it again.

Price excludes shipping? TBD: on the cost of shipping to be included on the final tally. i am leaning towards exluding shipping costs if applicable.

i chose the price of 30 dollars being that most new kits costing 30 dollars without any building supplies. it would take a lot of sales or coupons or low cost supplies to keep it below the 30 dollar limit. 

let me know what you guys think. do you think 30 is too tight, does it need to be 40 or maybe even less than 30. 

I'd be in for the 30 bucks... I just bought this for $11 at Michael's 60% off coupon. Funny thing is I buy paint about 1 time a week. I got a great deal on some paint from Target resently... beautiful burgandy, coral peach, aqua green, apple red... a bunch of Testors craft colors on clearance for $1.99 a can. regular $4.99... I'm thrifty when it comes to supplies and model kits. Go check out the craft section at Target, some cool colors there. I definitely do not have glue from 10 years ago... I use it as fast as I get it. Lol!

20180328_192736.png

20180324_165306.jpg

Hardly any of us build out of the box... so by putting a price on parts that come from other kits would make it difficult, I suppose. Maybe we could exclude "kit bashing" as part of the 30 bucks. Sometimes I use parts from 4 to 5 different kits on a single build.

I think if you aquired the kit as a gift then you are strarting from zero dollars. You now have $30 to put into that kit. So it should be terrific! I'll start by sayin I have 1 model $11.37, one can of paint for $1.99, and 1 can of clearcoat for $3.50... ready to dump it out on the bench... I'II add it all up when I'm done... 

i would think kit bashing pieces could be set as a standard price. maybe 50 cents per piece. if you have 2 engine halves it would be 1 dollar. 

obviously the cost would be defined later or if anyone had any better ideas, i would love to hear it.