Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help with painting

Any tips on painting a matte section while the rest is gloss? Do i gloss clear everything then paint the matte color and matte clear that? I could only find one picture as to what im looking to do. Im just concerned it will have a big edge from all the layers.

D4B46E3B-23C0-42F2-B0CD-F2806BD6CF94.jpeg

Edited by Mkulp19

If they are separate pieces, gloss clear what needs to be gloss and matte clear what needs to be matte. If one piece, I would mask off and do the matte finish first. Then, after you allow ample time to dry, mask the matte finished area and spray the gloss clear.

I am sure others have different ways of doing it.

You could find a scrap body or hood, gloss the whole thing and then matte over a portion to see if it gives you the look you are shooting for.

I think he is wanting to paint matt black on the hood...........

Mike, I might would paint the whole truck green (or what color you may be using), mask for the black on the hood, then spray DupliColor sandable black primer on the hood...... You can polish the whole truck then, and that will take care of the edge where the primer was sprayed, and give the primer a little sheen.....

Just make sure you can spray the primer over the clear you use on the body.......... :)

4 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

I think he is wanting to paint matt black on the hood...........

If I were doing it, I'd paint and polish out all the gloss, then mask off the black and hit it with one coat of airbrushed Model Master Black Chrome Trim. 

I don't like masking over matte in cases like this, because masking stickum sticks more readily to matte paint than gloss and if you have to use "removal techniques" to get the goo off, you'll ruin the uniformity of the matte effect. Matte paints are also more easily scratched and so forth when handling. 

Another way to do it might be to do the black and the green as gloss, clearcoat and polish out the whole thing, and then mask off to hit the black area of the hood with an airbrushed coat of Testor Dullcote, or something of the sort. 

In other words, I like to do the matte LAST, not first, to avoid damage to the finish. But maybe that's just me. B)