Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone make their own pickled eggs? I'm trying it out.

LDO

I did a search for Sweet & Spicy Pickled Egg Recipe. Found one with lots of positive feedback, so I'm trying it out. It has Jalapeños, Habaneros,  Red Bell Peppers, Onions, and of course spices and vinegar. The first 1/2 gallon jar of 20 follows the recipe to the letter. A second jar will have beet juice and garlic. 

20180520_125653-vi.jpg

20180520_135017-vi.jpg

I can't wait to try them. The hard part will be the wait. Good thing I have a garage fridge. That way I don't have to see them every day.

They look like they should be pretty good!

I've never tried making pickled eggs.

I don't remember the last time I ate one.

I have recently been making my own beef jerky in my electric smoker though.

Got on a jerky kick a few weeks ago & I just cringe every time I see the prices of it in the stores.

I can make about a pound and a half of my own for less than $10.00. :P

Steve

Yeah it's pub grub from before my time. I never got them in a pub/bar, though. When I was a kid, my dad would get me a pickled egg and a Coke when we stopped at a liquor store. It had been years since I had one (maybe 35 years) when I saw a small jar of them at the grocery store. I got them, but the store no longer carries them. They are hard to find around here. 

A couple bars I used to frequent back in the bad old days had the customary jar of pickled eggs on the end of the bar.

Never ever had the want to try them after watching so many of the customers forego the utensil and just reach in and pull one out with their grubby fingers!

Then saw the bar maid pull the old ones out and add new eggs to the bottom and put the old back on the top!

Now my grandma used to make them. Cleaning out the house after she passed away we found some dated 15 years old! One of my cousins actually was dumb enough to try one!

Said they were a little on the strong side but he didn't get sick!

Not me, no way!:lol:

I didn't know until I read this recipe that pickling is a preservative. I mean for cucumbers, sure, but seeing that people wait 4 months to open the jar definitely raised my eyebrows. 

I do like learning to cook/prepare food, though. I have made quite a few things from Alton Brown's "Good Eats". His sweet and spicy pickled carrots gave me the idea for the eggs. I have also made his Baklava several times. It was a huge hit when I took it to team trivia at a local sports bar.  I have to confess; I'm also learning to cook more things because I'm really tired of poor service and food at fast food places. Which reminds me...you have got to try Korean BBQ Wings from America's Test Kitchen. Just see if you can catch that episode on a DVR. We have made them several times. They are better than any wings I have had at any restaurant EVER. 

What about salt in there?  No?

I used to pickle just the peppers, and the recipes called for lots of salt, then poured over the peppers and the glass was sealed and cooked in water. 

The old German beer bars used to have big jars of eggs in a salty solution.  Made for great farts later on....

....OK, I just asked the wife (she's a German gal) how "sole-eggs" are done.  Sole, not soul....sole is the heavy salt solution.

Boil the eggs.  Let them cool.  Make a heavily salted water solution, add seasonings, in your case the chilies....and heat until boil (to defeat germs).  Let the solution cool down.  Either crack the eggshells in several places, or peel completely.  Dump them in the solution and 2 -5 days later....enjoy.