Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 911 SC/RS

afx

3 hours ago, Jason Sheer said:

I was thinking of building the Singer/ Williams Porsche too! The intakes built into the side glass is Awesome way to handle the volume of air to get into that beast !

I have no plans to attempt the build Jason so it's all you. :)  

Edited by afx

Thanks Dann.  The teams used a few different style wings.  During the ’85 season the wing had a wider throat leading to the engine similar to the Turbo wing.  “84 wing on the lefty, ’85 wing on the right.

DSCN5556-vi.jpgDSCN5558DSCN5560droogmans-joosten 1985 187

Edited by afx

I prefer to use the chassis and 1-pice suspension from the curbside kit.  I like having the engine position locked in and the suspensions make setting up stance easier.  I open the area around the engine then modify the Enthusiast kit parts to fit.

DSCN5567DSCN5568DSCN5570DSCN5565 

This chassis was built in the same manor

DSCN1286.JPG

Edited by afx

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Trevor.  Having the engine position locked in allows me to confirm clearance now.  Had to adjust some things but happy with this. Fabricated a simple rear firewall which is not provided in the kit.

DSCN5600

Had to shim out the front hubs to get proper track width and accept the fat racing rubber.  Fabricated simple rear hubs to accept the aftermarket wheels.

DSCN5603

Edited by afx

All this work is so worth it, and how you adapted the Enthusiast engine was brilliant!!…..I like to sit down and mock-up things.....looking at it in all angles, sometimes for days, before even starting the surgery...…..is that what you do as well?

Thanks Dann and yes lots of study goes into my builds - that's why they take so long!  I also mockup and test fit ad nauseam.  I like to build the kit completely or as close as I can get before I start painting.

Edited by afx

2 hours ago, afx said:

Thanks Dann and yes lots of study goes into my builds - that's why they take so long!  I also mockup and test fit ad nauseam.  I like to build the kit completely or as close as I can get before I start painting.

Nice, JC, i'm doing that with my Isdera Imperator build......I want to make it an available resin kit.....if it keeps going good. I've never cast resin before though.

3 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Nice, JC, i'm doing that with my Isdera Imperator build......I want to make it an available resin kit.....if it keeps going good. I've never cast resin before though.

I don't cast resin either but I know (2) very good casters you could talk to when you're ready.

Thanks Dann. Modified the kit Bosch fuel injector pump to more closely resemble the unit used on the SCRS.  The unit will be mostly obscured under the air cleaner so didn’t see the need to super detail it but it will be plumbed. 

DSCN5609

For those that may be so inclined here is the 1:1.

P1040425

Most race cars ran twin plugs per cylinder and dual coils, yep (14) wires coming out of the distributor.  Thankfully the SCRS ran only single plug/coil.  The pre-drilled distributor is from R&M.  Fabricated a retention ring for the air cleaner screen.

DSCN5612

Porsche’s look great!! Been wondering how to wire up my engine for my build ?  I think I’m going to go for mid 70’s RSR set up, since I can’t find any accurate photos of how the Singer engines are wired and plugged together. Love your builds especially the steely wheels on the back of the rally build! 

13 hours ago, Jason Sheer said:

Porsche’s look great!! Been wondering how to wire up my engine for my build ?  I think I’m going to go for mid 70’s RSR set up, since I can’t find any accurate photos of how the Singer engines are wired and plugged together. Love your builds especially the steely wheels on the back of the rally build! 

Thanks Jason.  Singer use a Porsche 964 as a platform for their conversions. Google Porsche engine and/or Porsche wiring diagrams and you should find what you need.  The rear wheels are Ronal Turbos from Renaissance.

Image result for ronal turbo wheelsImage result for porsche scrs ronal turbo wheelsSouletHannut91a

Edited by afx