Model Cars Magazine Forum

LAPD 1978 Plymouth Fury completed for now...

mrmike

Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, Phat 46 said:

Mike when did Jon pass away? I was a member of Classic Plastic many years ago. I last saw Jon 6 years ago just before I moved to Florida. I gave him those nicely bound copies of Scale Auto the club owns.

Ed Daly, Jon passed away back in December 2017 from complications of diabetes.  He was staying at the VA Hospital.    

I didn't like how the front end of the Fury was raised, so I figured out a way to lower the front slightly without the Fury looking like a 4X4.  I cut off the retainers for the chassis at the front of the car and added some styrene across the top.  I added some styrene to the forward edge of the chassis.  This will move the edge of the chassis and front suspension up into the body.  Now the front suspension sits where I want it.

More to come...

LAPD20.JPG

LAPD19.JPG

LAPD21.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I added another coat of Tamiya TS-26 Pure White to the roof and doors.  When this has had sufficient time to dry, I'll mask off the doors and roof and paint the fenders, hood, and trunk lid with Tamiya TS-14 Black.

More to come...

LAPD22.JPG

LAPD23.JPG

LAPD24.JPG

• 1 month later...

I have been avoiding this...wetsanding!  I knew that the black on this build wasn't good and wetsanding is removing a lot of the flaws in the black.  And, I hate painting black!  If you look at my collection, you can count on one hand the number of black painted models I have on the shelves.  I don't seem to have any issues with dark colored paints (dark green, dark blue, etc.), but black is such a difficult color to paint.  So far, this is only 3200 grit sanding pad and I have to go over the body again with the 3200 grit on the spots that I seem to have missed.

More to come...

LAPD28.JPG

LAPD29.JPG

LAPD30.JPG

Yes, they have gotten kind of pricey over the years and I can understand the price increase since they have been discontinued and I believe that Yodel themselves have gone out of business.  I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time when these came available for the right price.

After wetsanding and making a mess of the Fury, I have masked off the body and repainted the white with two coats of Tamiya TS-26 Pure White.  I'll remask tomorrow and paint the black with Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black.

More to come...

LAPD31.JPG

LAPD32.JPG

LAPD33.JPG

• 1 month later...