Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Vega - LOL

randyc

Just to keep something going on here - some new stuff, here is a Motormax Fresh Cherries Vega I bought.  $9 plus shipping.  I owned a 73 which is quite a bit different (better?) on the nose and tail than this, but mine was exaclty this color.  Interior was green and mine had the rally wheels.   But this is only thing close without going to a high dollar promo.  And it's already built and painted.  I did detail the wheels and a little on the engine.  Added some embossing powder carpet.  Engine is just like the real one - an unexciting lump.  Had a weird tampo on the rear.  The 71/72 logo on a red rectangle.   A little nail polish remover took care of that.  And dangit - I should dust the car before I take photos.  

Door frames are molded with the body.  Best to leave this one displayed with everything closed.   Wheels and tires look a bit large in openings.  And it looks saggy in the rear, but sits level really.  Maybe the openings aren't large enough on the rear?   

IMG_20180813_095459205.jpg

IMG_20180813_095452517.jpg

Looks good to me, and well done with the Snake-Fu you laid on it. I've seen these once or twice and have almost bought one--I think I'll get the next one I see, after seeing how good yours looks.  

I have a '75 Monza promo painted almost the same color that needs restoring. 

Mine was bondoed over nicely thank you.  The oil drips - OMG - I had to carry a couple sets of plugs with me at all times to be ready to change in when they oil fouled.   That was a stock engine.  I also had a GT wagon with a great sleeved motor and horrible body - green doors, faded yellow front clip, less faded yellow body.  We called it the POVERTY WAGON.  But it was fun.  The car was too til I accidentally knocked a hole in the Bondo work.  I was young and dumb and didn't know any better.  

I saw a couple burgundy Monza promos for $20 each over the weekend at a local antique store - may go back for one or both.  One to keep and one to sell if they are bringing anything.  

Randy

20 minutes ago, randyc said:

I saw a couple burgundy Monza promos for $20 each over the weekend at a local antique store - may go back for one or both.  One to keep and one to sell if they are bringing anything.  

Randy

That's a good price. Grab 'em both. If you don't want one, maybe I can make you a swap offer of some sort on it. 

On 8/20/2018 at 10:22 AM, Snake45 said:

That's a good price. Grab 'em both. If you don't want one, maybe I can make you a swap offer of some sort on it. 

I looked on ebay - unless I can get him to half price, I can't resell and make much on them.   I'll be glad to pick one up for you either way, if you want it - I really don't want to get into promos.  Let me know.