Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Firestone Ford Pickup vs. AMT Star Truk & AMT Ford Ranger F-350

crowe-t

Is the AMT Ford Firestone 1978 Pickup basically the same as the older versions, Star Truk and Ford Ranger F-350?

I was told the AMT Ford Firestone 1978 Pickup still has all the parts to make it a 2 wheel drive.  Other than the 1978 grill it's still the same kit. 

AMT858-1978-Ford-Pickup-500x333.jpg

AMT-T-322SI-2.jpg

IMG_9611.JPG

Thanks Casey. The parts sharing on all these kits is probably 90% or better, allowing for varying grills, wheels and accessories. Cab nameplate engraving changed for the '77/'78 kits.

mike

Edited by mk11

The AMT Ford Ranger is my kit.  I was going to try and trade it for the Star Truk with the earlier grill but there's an E-Bay seller who has the 73-75 grill in resin.  I might just get the Firestone kit since it has the 2wd parts.  I'm planning on shortening the wheel base so maybe I should do that to one of the newer Firestone kits instead.

20 hours ago, mk11 said:

I don't believe a rear step bumper was ever offered in the regular F-350 kits... maybe in one of the monster truck variations?

mike

I got a big stepbumper in the Big Foot version of the kit that I got. I plan on using it on the 4x4 F150 Flareside project I got going so pictures off it will show up there...some day:)

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2018 at 2:10 PM, leafsprings said:

Wish they would have kept the large camper special mirrors and rear step bumper (  only in star truk ? ) they would have come in handy for Moebius '69-'72's.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that the Moebius trucks came with a step bumper. At least one of them did. I'll have to look.